• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

small block part fit on big block?

belvedere 67

Local time
11:02 PM
Reaction score
Im in need of some parts, A buddy has some parts I maybe can use. I need a converter and a fly wheel for a 383. He has some of a small block, but I don't know if they will fit. Anybody know for sure? thanks

You need a flex plate? Or a flywheel for a 4 speed? Either way, it will fit. The converter fits the trans. If its a 727 converter it will fit. 904 will not

Only difference is something from a 360 etc that is balanced differently but you can get a different flex plate for that. A flywheel from a 360 will not work on a 383 because of the balance too.

Is it fair to say that you're running an automatic?
The flexplate is often called a flywheel by some. It is more accurately referred to as a flexplate in my opinion. No biggie. I have found that most V8 flexplates seem to fit everything from a 273 to a 440 because they all share the same 6 bolt pattern. Hemi engines use an 8 bolt flexplate though.
The 727 converters do interchange from small block to big block as long as they are of the same era. There were some differences over the years. Consult a torque converter chart to see what years interchange. If you find one from a 360, a 400 or a cast crank 440, there will be a balance weight or two welded to the front side. They can be cut off to get the converter back to neutral balance. Very few parts fit both big and small blocks. It is good to ask before buying!

Auto Transport Service
Back