• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block question

69 Runner

ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)
Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
While looking on the bag for various parts I notice there is a new small block timing cover that is made so the crank seal can be replaced without pulling the cover. Has anyone used one of these? If so, what did you think good or bad.

Personally I'd be a bit worried about there not being anything in front of the seal to keep it from walking forward. (course I'm not sure that is even possible)

Front seals are pressed in. At least on my covers they are.

I wonder if theres two different styles?

Adam?

like this

timing cover.JPG

Along somewhat of the same line of question, a mechanic looked at my 360 in the dart Sport and said it had a 2 piece rear main seal........?

I know NOTHING about the seals.....what am I up against getting it changed?

Ya have to drop the pan and pull the rear main cap. Assuming it has the neoprene type seal as opposed to the old rope type (they even still make those?) then the top half (in the block) can be carefully tapped part way out, then pulled the rest of the way. Getting the new one in without damage is a little tougher, but ya have to start one end and carefully work it in. There was a tool to pull the old rope seal in, but I don't know if it could be used on a neoprene type. Then put the other half in the cap and reassemble.

it's just that simple:no:

They changed the way the front crankshafts seal is installed sometime in the 70's I think. If you have the cover that takes the seal from the front, just order a seal for a mid 80's truck.

Auto Transport Service
Back