• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block Torque Converter

chargerrt340

Local time
3:54 PM
Reaction score
So I bought a 408 stroked 360 from Performance Injection Equipment during the heat of COVID. Had them add a TOrque converter to the build……

After a little while I’m finally installing…. Trying to put the TC on the stock sb 727 it looks like the shaft on the TC won’t go over the splined transmission shaft into the trans… the stock shaft is about 1.5” and my new custom TC is 1.75-2.

It’s rated at 482 hp and 530ish torque. How long do you think the stock TC will hold up if i reinstall?

Any advice? Is it the wrong TC? Big block maybe?

Last edited:
There are two different spline counts on convertor depending on the year = think it changed about 1967.

The 904 and 727 have way different size imput shaft. Are you sure you
have 727? Block Big and Small have the same convertor with 727.

The shape of the pan gasket will tell you easily what you have

If you have not done it before = It is tricky to get convertor all the
way into trans front pump. Spin it slowly and Gently tap it - you will feel
the pump drive and splines engage

I an Racing in Pomona Cal. next month and could come figure it out for you if you are anywhere near there.

Last edited:
The black TC with the bigger shaft is the new one. The blue one with the smaller shaft is the stock…..

3B5EF4E8-7029-4FB2-9F6D-495629A68242.jpeg 47EE6D6E-9B8C-4AE5-BA2B-01C708DEC969.jpeg

There are two different spline counts on convertor depending on the year = think it changed about 1967.

The 904 and 727 have way different size imput shaft. Are you sure you
have 727? Block Big and Small have the same convertor with 727.

The shape of the pan gasket will tell you easily what you have

If you have not done it before = It is tricky to get convertor all the
way into trans front pump. Spin it slowly and Gently tap it - you will feel
the pump drive and splines engage

I an Racing in Pomona Cal. next month and could come figure it out for you if you are anywhere near there.

I can’t even get the TC to enter the transmission seal area. 1st step if you will. If it’s supposed to be tight I’ll do it again with more force, but because there is a 1/4” size difference I’m thinking it the wrong TC.

Blue one IS a 904 Convertor
Aftermarket on IS 727
NOT COMPATIBLE!

You have a 904

Sorry to be the bearer of Bad News = They will NOT work together!

You need a 904 Convertor

Might be cheaper to get a different convertor.
Nothing wrong with running 904s = We do

Goggle: John Irving

All of the 10 sec. small block run 904 - take less JP to operate

OR I have 904 Hi stalls = Maybe we can do some trading

Auto Transport Service
Back