• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smog 440 Old School Modifications?

streetmachine

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Just tossing ideas around but, thought about building a Day 2 type build on a 1975 440 truck (RV?) engine. The mods I'm considering is some headers, intake, and carburetor change maybe? Has 68-69 HP Manifolds on it now and stock cast iron intake with EGR Valve even. Not looking to raise compression or a camshaft swap at this point at it runs. I know that might seem crazy but, just looking to lighten up the front and do a little old school mods to it. The mods I'm considering are Holley Street Dominator, Hooker or TTI Headers?, and Holley 750cfm or 800cfm carburetor? Might run the Thermoquad on it but, not sure.

I'm wondering what people here recommend? I'm concerned about hood clearance and I would run the TTIs but, I've heard there is a backorder on them currently? I'm looking at other options since I've also heard mixed things about TTIs as well. Back in the day, ran a 1972 Dodge Charger with a 77ish 400 with the above mods and stock cam/compression. Wasn't too bad and ran well enough for what it was and ran many years/miles. Anyways, thank you in advance.

I can’t comment on headers, but the Holley street dominator is a good choice, I’ve heard good hood clearance too, here’s a dyno chart eddy performer in red vs the Holley in black. My GTX is a stock 350hp 69 Chrysler Newport 440. I have 440 source heads, offy intake, and stock hp manifolds. It’s not a giant stroker, it’s the stock cam, not an ultra thumper magnum race cam, but it’ll burn rubber and go fast, what more can you want?

:steering:

B4285650-9685-47AF-8FFF-5C093DF88A99.jpeg

30929556-357C-4AFE-B7C7-5F9C9AA150BD.png

Check compression and make sure cylinders are half way even.
I would at least put new timing chain and gears on.
Set of long tube headers , intake and carb like you planned.
Also another big help is a good fast curve on the distributor.
The RV cams they came with have pretty good low end torque.
I have pretty much the same set up except I did add a small comp cam kit and some crane valve springs.
Runs good and I can buy fuel anyplace.

Just tossing ideas around but, thought about building a Day 2 type build on a 1975 440 truck (RV?) engine. The mods I'm considering is some headers, intake, and carburetor change maybe? Has 68-69 HP Manifolds on it now and stock cast iron intake with EGR Valve even. Not looking to raise compression or a camshaft swap at this point at it runs. I know that might seem crazy but, just looking to lighten up the front and do a little old school mods to it. The mods I'm considering are Holley Street Dominator, Hooker or TTI Headers?, and Holley 750cfm or 800cfm carburetor? Might run the Thermoquad on it but, not sure.

I'm wondering what people here recommend? I'm concerned about hood clearance and I would run the TTIs but, I've heard there is a backorder on them currently? I'm looking at other options since I've also heard mixed things about TTIs as well. Back in the day, ran a 1972 Dodge Charger with a 77ish 400 with the above mods and stock cam/compression. Wasn't too bad and ran well enough for what it was and ran many years/miles. Anyways, thank you in advance.

My car has a 1978 440-1 out of a motorhome in it. It was completely rebuilt 7,000mi ago as it needed a new crank, but otherwise no real mods made to the bottom end. Stock bore. Heads were rebuilt. It has a mildly over-stock "RV" cam. It sounds like a BB Mopar should pulling into the cruise nights. Edelbrock Performer 440 aluminum intake, Summit Racing ceramic coated headers, billet distributor, Fitech 600HP fuel injection, aluminum radiator, so it also looks OK when you open the hood. Nothing wrong with the later 440's. It's all about what you want.

I won't do a full on rebuild at this point. Figure I'd think about doing a few mods first and going from there. I thought about doing Summit Headers as well. Had some of there headers on another B-Body in the past and was pleased with them for being a dailyish driven B-Body 318. Now that I remember I think that old 400 had Hooker Super Competition Headers. Sounded good and ran good for what it was especially with 3.23s.

I won't do a full on rebuild at this point if I can help it for now as I have other things in the fire. Figure I'd think about doing these mods first and going from there. It may of had a timing gear and camshaft installed already but, sounds pretty stock though. I thought about doing Summit Headers as well for another choice. Had some of there headers on another B-Body in the past and was pleased with them for being a dailyish driven B-Body 318. Now that I remember I think that old 400 had Hooker Super Competition Headers. Sounded good and ran good for what it was especially with 3.23s. Thank you all again.

I understand not wanting to take a running engine apart. One thing we noticed after taking apart lots of years of 440s a thing commonly overlooked if you are std bore on a 72 and later 440... you can replace the pistons with the higher compression 67-70 pistons. The rings are in the same place. There is just less meat on the piston from the rings up after 72. The original std pre-70 pistons often get thrown away...which is a shame because there are lots of low compression rv engines in great shape. They don't need bored...just freshened up w a much higher compression piston.

Last edited:
If this is a decent running engine? I'm assuming you are not considering a rebuild at this time. I'd at the very least re-gasket the motor and replace the valve seals. Timing chain and bearings could be evaluated at the same time. There are some Summit cams that will wake it up cheap.
Doug

If this is a decent running engine? I'm assuming you are not considering a rebuild at this time. I'd at the very least re-gasket the motor and replace the valve seals. Timing chain and bearings could be evaluated at the same time. There are some Summit cams that will wake it up cheap.
Doug
The engine seems to run well enough. I wouldn't do a cam unless I went with a rebuild anyways. Many years ago I traded for a 318 car that had a Summit Camshaft Kit in it. I'm not sure how the quality is these days but, never had any problems with the camshaft or lifters while I owned it.

Auto Transport Service
Back