• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snowballing!

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
Well, I need some help! I pulled the steering column out to clean up the firewall and one thing led to another and I am ripping the complete column apart. I'm down to the shift tube (automatic 1965 Coronet) and I can't see what fastens the outside casting (the part the shifter lever is pinned into) to the inner tube. I can see it has to come apart at the top and the tube exits out the bottom of the main column tube/housing. Has anyone done this? Help!
Mike

Check the Factory Service Manual, has a lot of good info.

Mike,
I don't know if they have changed, but my '69 has a small set screw. If there is crud in there you might not see it. It is visable through the hole the shift lever goes in. It takes a 3/32 allen wrench. It is a straight shot through the lever hole, but I couldn't find a wrench long enough. I used an "L" shaped one going in from the front. I had just enough travel to break it loose. Hope this helps.:)

Kevin

Mike,
I don't know if they have changed, but my '69 has a small set screw. If there is crud in there you might not see it. It is visable through the hole the shift lever goes in. It takes a 3/32 allen wrench. It is a straight shot through the lever hole, but I couldn't find a wrench long enough. I used an "L" shaped one going in from the front. I had just enough travel to break it loose. Hope this helps.:)

Kevin
Thanks. I will check tomorrow.
Mike

I finished disassembly this AM. I needed a 9/64" allen wrench to remove the screw that retains the selector collar to the shift tube. It wasn't with out problems though, I forgot to remove the "finger" that activates the reverse lamp switch and broke it of course. Now I need a replacement.
Mike

Up date: I finished the column, had to weld the reverse lamp switch actuator. Found the column information and adjustments in the transmission section!
Mike
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG

Looks good. I have a complete one of those that I pulled out of a wrecking yard years ago. Same color and everything but doesn't look quite as nice as that one. Just one of those things I'll need to get rid of one of these days.

I just went through some steering column stuff myself. Steering columns are covered in the FSM in section 21 (transmission) with the corresponding transmission (manual or auto).

Auto Transport Service
Back