• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I got a bet for you...

mykers

Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
Well I got a bet for you...we’ll sort of. See I was talking to a 92 year old mopar guy. Told me about all the cars he has had and currently own (1970 Dodge Super Bee).

We talked for hours and I listened to him talk about the comparison on the wedge-shaped combustion chambered motors along with the hemispherical. I had a blast.

Anyhow, one of the more interesting talks was a story about two hemi barracudas racing (years not covered) both with hemis. He went on to ask me: how is it possible that two identical hemis born from the same factory can race a 1/4 mile and both achieve the same quarter mile time and both be running at the same temperature before and after the race but with one major difference...one of the hemis did not have a thermostat! He went on to explain that both motors were checked and topped with the same fluid and oil weight; essentially everything the same temps check 31 times and so forth. He bet me 100 dollars that I couldn’t guess the answer.

This may seem unremarkable to most, but I was amazed at how he emphasized how drastic, amazing, irritating, and minute this difference was.

Before I mention the conclusion figured I’d share this to start and see how interested or uninterested this story may or may not be from this blast from the past :thumbsup:

Having danced this dance on this very forum, sure, I'll play along and take the first guess:
A thermostat's main purpose for being is not to regulate temperature, but only to regulate the rate of increase of temperature - they are used to make the engine warm up faster than one without a thermostat.
How'd I do? :D

Having danced this dance on this very forum, sure, I'll play along and take the first guess:
A thermostat's main purpose for being is not to regulate temperature, but only to regulate the rate of increase of temperature - they are used to make the engine warm up faster than one without a thermostat.
Thernostats also tend to act as a restriction. That's why part of the disc extends into the coolant flow. It allows the coolant to stay in the radiator a bit longer for better heat exchange. As an engineer and physics major, I can't wait to see what answer he came up with.

Is the question, why do both run the same 1/4 mile times, only difference between the two is one doesn't have a T-stat?

The answer would be that the T-stat doesn't have any bearing on the proformance.

It’s gotta be coreshift in intake,heads. I think I’ll go with KK.

The answer is they both overheated and pegged the temp gauge.

Once the thermostat is open, there's no difference.(it sets the minimum operating temperature of the cooling system)

they both start out a ambient temp and both boiling after race so the same

I really don't understand exactly what the question is?
Let me rephrase that question. Two motors, both assembled from the same plant, both with the same running specs from factory, every part essentially the same, one engine without a thermostat, one with, both checked, and deemed comparable, torque specs the same, essentially two identical motors, temp checks 31 times before and after duration same time...etc and both run the same quarter mile. How is this possible, or even possible?

Last edited:
the idea is there...a lot better than I did :)

Is the question, why do both run the same 1/4 mile times, only difference between the two is one doesn't have a T-stat?

The answer would be that the T-stat doesn't have any bearing on the proformance.
Yes, that is the question, but you are also assuming that the engine didn't blow from overheating; unlikely yes, but not ruled out!

Once the thermostat is open, there's no difference.(it sets the minimum operating temperature of the cooling system)
Which is what I said, but as the oldie pointed out, "that may be the case son, but the thickness of the thermostat when opening still inhibits cooling as opposed to no thermy at all!

...and please remember, I'm not here to say that you are not right or wrong, just passing an interesting story that was passed onto me :icon_fU:

I knew it, no t-stat had some bad castings & ran hotter than it should have! Seriously I remember ‘back in the day’ Dodges always ran better than Plymouth’s; why? was never answered.

I'm sticking with my answer.
If the orifice size in the thermostat is optimal for cooling in the engine that has one, then the "additional" orifice of the engine without a thermostat will run the same temperature (as long as that temperature is at/above the thermostats' rating, of course).

This is bugging the crap out of me! The one w/no t-stat DID have a ‘restrictor’ disc in the stat spot to slow water flow?

Going on a tangent- both had same trans?

Auto Transport Service
Back