• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I got what I paid for...

66_B_Body4ever

Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
Man, I gotta tell ya, I am one of those people that will always buy local or at least try to buy goods made in north america. But you can't do that with everything these days.
We recently remodeled our house, kitchen included. Of course in comes the stainless out goes the old harvest gold, avacado green appliances that have served us faithfully for who knows how many years...can't count that far back.
My story is about a beautiful stainless steel blendor we bought not even a year ago that replaced our old made in america 80's unit. (still worked great).
The Black and Decker unit we bought just went up in smoke in the process of making a Margarita...so my wife is doin without the crushed ice on this outing. Now Black and decker used to be a made in Canada product (not sure if its made the US as well) but as the smoke cleared I looked underneath the unit and voila...made in china.

So tomorrow I am on a mission to find a made in North America blendor...What are my chances...I got what I paid for and its just more evidence as to what we need to do in our bordering countries...buy at home and kill the recession in the process.

Just my thoughts, good thing I drink beer. I'll have to check to see where my bottle opener was made.

Why not get one of those really kickazz blenders that's powered by a chain saw motor?

The Vitamix is made in Ohio. Not cheap, but it is US made and lasts a long time.

Well I've seen some heavy duty units...might be a little tuff breathin in the CO when we have to chop up the ice indoors so the gas powered units are out. I'll check in to the Vitamix unit, think my buddy has a 1/2 horse version of the Vitamix...it'll boil water she spins so fast!

Pansieazz. THIS is what "I" had in mind.....

http://www.gasblenderfactoryoutlet.com/

blender.jpg

That goes with the motorized bar stool, right?

Your best bet is to go to a good old fashioned flea market, and find the guy with all the older appliances........look for a nice Osterizer with the chrome base and pyrex pitcher.......MAN those things work, and they last practically forever............Look great too. :yes:

Your best bet is to go to a good old fashioned flea market, and find the guy with all the older appliances........look for a nice Osterizer with the chrome base and pyrex pitcher.......MAN those things work, and they last practically forever............Look great too. :yes:

Yup, the unit we let go was an old Osterizer...Manufactured in either the US or Canada at the time...:sad:

OK, so I gotta wonder if we haven't done this to ourselves. I always try to buy American when I can, but, here's the rub. I don't always have the cash to buy my first choice. I understand the theory that American is better, but to be honest, the only time I had to push the old Honda Shadow is when it ran out of gas, and that was my American fault. I wish I could have said the same of my old 'Glide.
Did we get too complacent, too greedy or too full of ourselves? Did we let government and unions run the costs up to the point that us common folk are pretty much stuck with buying offshore stuff?
I don't want to start an arguement here, I just want some honest opinions. What do you folks think?

Yep. To a large degree, we've done it to ourselves. Companies taxes go up, so they start manufacturing offshore where they pay less to have their products made. Best part of that is the price of the new offshore version doesn't reflect the lower manufacturing cost. So the companies make more profit. The government (I just started to say liberals, but decided it was probably further reaching than that) thinks it's a grand idea to keep raising the corporate taxes, which continues to force more and more companies offshore.

Eventually we will be a country of only consumers, and not of manufacturers.

What about the cost of our workforce itself? I firmly believe that unions, although once very needed, have become self indulgent. They increase the cost of employee wages, of which the employee pays back to them in union dues, and the manufacturer reflects that wage in the cost of the product.
Way over simplified, but that is the only way I can describe it....

Now that we identified the problem, how do we fix it...I believe we have a long hard road ahead of us. And I still can't find a domestically manufactured blender, Kitchenaid cleverly stamps assembled in the USA on the bottom as do many other manufacturers. (Oster)...

You can't have an economy without industry, so yes, the US (can't speak for Canada) is becoming a place to eat and sleep - and our elected politicians are helping this along.

Oh yeah, regarding the blender. Find an old USA made one at a garage sale and fix it!!

Or..........just get one of these (play video). HA! You guys with your wimpy single cylinder or V twin blenders!!!
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&start=54&um=1

Don't forget the tree huggers who worry about the condition of the environment 10,000 years into the future. I'm all for working to cleanup factory discharge into the atmosphere but the level of hype and instilled panic inflicted on society by the hyper-greenies goes beyond reason. Glad they weren't around during the industrial revolution otherwise we'd all still be pickin' cotton. THe US govt., like California doesn't have politicians who are smart enough to realize that everytime they pass a new "environmental" requirement more industry heads south of the border or across the pond. In Cali. they scratch their hind quarters and wonder why they have no money.

We have the absolute dumbest of society in charge of things now and the majority of America put these bozo's in charge because they thought we needed "change". Heaven help us!

Auto Transport Service
Back