• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So...maybe moving

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
My son accepted a job in Albuquerque (where he lived until last year). He has this beautiful house in Salt Lake City, that he will be leaving. He has offered it to me to rent. I am liking the idea because I have spent a lot of time there since his move. He would like myself and his mother(my wife) to be closer to him. He is offering us a phenomininal deal. He wants to buy a new house in ABQ, and this would be a good deal for him since he would have us for tenants, instead of strangers. We know and get along great with his neighbors. He knows I will fiddle fart around and make this property better. It sounds like a winner. I am currently in NY where you can't fart without state permission. We have a home we built in 1988 that is getting tougher to maintain (5+ acres). I think I am ready to throw in the towel and accept, the wife has wanted to since 2013.
The house is pefect, I have done a lot of work on it and there is still some more minor things I would like to do. It has the most awesome view of the Wasatch Mtns from the front window. I could spend a lot of time watching the storms move across them. We are both competitive Pistol shooters (I am also a National Range Officer), which we could do a lot more of together, if I was closer. I know the area like the back of my hand. Funny since I have only been there 5 times since last November. I feel very comfortable there , which beats the loneliness we feel in NY, where we are always far for our kids. They will never move move back to NY....so why stay here ?

That’s great. Your post sounds like you know it is too. Good luck on the move.
I left New York twice, best moves I’ve ever made. I was there second time for a company transfer back.

2 car attached and a huge concrete pad along the side and in back of garage. Room enough for 5-6 cars

I moved west from lifelong KY boy to southern AZ in the summer of 2018.

And the ONLY regret I have is I miss my friends and family. But I guess thats what Delta is for
wifes family is here in AZ

Back in the early 90"s...I was offered a position teaching Attack Helicopter maintenance in AZ. Wife and kids balked. I turned it down. I love AZ and was hoping they would too, but we had both had aging parents that needed us. maybe now is the time.

I will never move back to NY, all they want is your money. And did I say 8 months of crap weather. Run Forest Run

My son accepted a job in Albuquerque (where he lived until last year). He has this beautiful house in Salt Lake City, that he will be leaving. He has offered it to me to rent. I am liking the idea because I have spent a lot of time there since his move. He would like myself and his mother(my wife) to be closer to him. He is offering us a phenomininal deal. He wants to buy a new house in ABQ, and this would be a good deal for him since he would have us for tenants, instead of strangers. We know and get along great with his neighbors. He knows I will fiddle fart around and make this property better. It sounds like a winner. I am currently in NY where you can't fart without state permission. We have a home we built in 1988 that is getting tougher to maintain (5+ acres). I think I am ready to throw in the towel and accept, the wife has wanted to since 2013.
The house is pefect, I have done a lot of work on it and there is still some more minor things I would like to do. It has the most awesome view of the Wasatch Mtns from the front window. I could spend a lot of time watching the storms move across them. We are both competitive Pistol shooters (I am also a National Range Officer), which we could do a lot more of together, if I was closer. I know the area like the back of my hand. Funny since I have only been there 5 times since last November. I feel very comfortable there , which beats the loneliness we feel in NY, where we are always far for our kids. They will never move move back to NY....so why stay here ?
Go for it!

If you're not already packing boxes - get your skinny butt to it. I'm trying to do something similar but with an unwilling wife. If I were you - I'd be there already. Life is short don't wait.

We’d move to Utah or any of the states if that’s where our kids were. Until then the Utah permit will have to suffice. Helps with reciprocity.

Sounds like you know what you have to do IMO.

Moving is ok, but chasing or involving the kids? Not me. Already moved 3k miles to get away from the “kids. Most of em have AARP cards now. It’s nice and quiet.

If you're not already packing boxes - get your skinny butt to it. I'm trying to do something similar but with an unwilling wife. If I were you - I'd be there already. Life is short don't wait.
I’d love to agree but I can’t bring myself to say the skinny butt part :poke:

Update:
My daughter has expressed interest in renting our current home. So, we are working furiously on the numbers to create a good deal for all. This would work well for her since when her older horse (that she has leased out) can come to her for retirement. Good thing I never took the fencing down.
So, lots to think about and do. Her apartment lease is over in April so that would be her move time. My son on the other hand has to be in ABQ Jan or Feb. Maybe I will send the Mrs out there to square things away, while I do the same here.

I dunno, but this might just work out.

I'm trying to do something similar but with an unwilling wife. If I were you - I'd be there already. Life is short don't wait.
If I were you, I'd be gone yesterday!! Let her live in that misery, there's no need for her to bring you down because she's unwilling! Like you said, life is short!

Auto Transport Service
Back