• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So why did you pick a 66-67 Charger?

FROSTBITE

Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Topics seem few around this new 66-67 section, Im wondering how or why did everyone else get a 66-67 Charger?

Ill Start, About 3 years ago (i was 24) i finally had the means to buy myself my first mopar. After doing some looking i found a 1973 duster, nothing fancy 318 with auto, 7 1/4 rear. Wasnt Much but it was all mine. After some minor improvements here and there. It came to the point i wanted more power. I figured i would spend at least 4 to 5 thousand on a new engine and a better rear end. Decide that the car was just fine the way it was and sold it and used the money with what i have saved for somthing that i didnt need to work on a whole lot to make it what i wanted.

The next 6 months where just tedious, hours shopping online and on the phone. Looking for a nice driver that had be a b body, bucket seats, 4 speed and a big block. Which is asking alot for when looking at mopars i found out. It pretty much came down to small block 72+ road runners and clones or 66-67 chargers.
duster1.jpgduster.jpg
Won the ebay auction that had my charger on it. Almost a full resto, brand new rebuild 383, new clutch. The car drove me insane for the first several months working out the bugs from the resto. also the resto job was far from perfect.orginal.jpg But im pretty happy now with it.

Here is some pictures of my old duster and a picture of the final stages of the charger resto

Well,it started out as looking for a big block B body for my dad.I wanted to get him a gift for helping me get into the hobby and helping me with my collection of Mopars through the years.He had done so much for me that I really wanted to get him something nice.Especially since his health has been going down hill lately.After searching for a few months and looking at several different B bodies,I found a 66 Charger in Oklahoma.It had some problems,but for some reason he just fell in love with it.I'm guessing it's because he's owned pretty much everything else except a 1st gen Charger.After talking to him about it I decided to make the trip to get it for him.And then I fell in love with it.The lines,the interior,the oddness.And you just don't see them that often.After dragging it back to Texas,I had to have one for myself and ended up buying a 67 that had been sitting in a guys backyard for over 20 years.Both cars run and drive.It's worth all the headache and money just watching him enjoy his car and to see him acting like he's 19 again.We haven't done a father son cruise yet,but we plan on it pretty soon.

66-67 Chargers are a car that you either love or hate. I have always liked fastback cars but many don't.

A 66-67 Charger to me is one of the best all around cars to have. The have almost as much cargo area as a station wagon with the seats and rear panel dow into the trunk.

They have the best interior of all old Mopars (and other makes) with the 4 buckets, cargo area, dash and dash light, along with the great front end with hidden lights and a nice rear end especially if you add the sequencial tail lights like I have done.

It was cheap, had a big block/four speed, and had weight in all the right places. My $1200 Charger has served me well.

I've poked in here a couple of times but never introduced myself. I have a 67 440 4spd blue with white interior. Solid body, apart, in primer waiting for paint. Bought someone elses' project to complete at some point.

I've always loved 67 Coronets and Gtxs and never thought I'd ever own an early Charger. But for me, the opportunity presented itself and I just couldn't pass up such a neat car.

Hopefully I'll be putting it in paint and starting the tedious reassembly process in a year or so. I have an RT to put together first.

Back when I was young and not an antique, I remember Ramo Stott and Ernie Durr racing here on dirt track in Wausau and fell in love with the body style then. Missed buying a '67 in '72 when I got back from 'Nam and went to the dark side for a few years. Fast forward to 3 years ago and bought one on fleabay on a lark and have been having a ball (exasperating) time ever since. Not drivable when I got it, now has a rebuilt engine(318 2 brl) and most mechanical items replaced. Having a blast but has been a headscratcher at times (always)!!!!

Well Actually i didn't Pick my 67 charger," it picket me " i was driving by and saw it setting on the driveway, i was familiar with the 68/69 but till then had never seen first gen chargers, in fact when i was checking it out i thought it was a AMC Marlin and someone put the charger emblems on it, and thought why would anybody do such a thing? a kid came out and said that it belonged to his buddy, but he was not home right now and would be back latter, so i inquired about the car and the kid told me its a 67 charger, i still didn't believe him he gave me the guys number, and then i called my ford buddy and he said the same thing that he's never heard of a 67 but to go and search it on the Internet, so i did, and to my surprise there it was ! WOW its a real car and just had to have it ! i came back two days latter and i bought it for $1800.00 almost Ten years ago and still have the car.

Charger became the first US produced vehicle on to win the NASCAR Grand National championship in 1966; during the race it was driven by David Pearson.
It is a Great car with tons of history and a potential MAJOR classic car.

Well, I'm an official O.F. (67 this past Feb.) and some years ago the wife and I were out on our typical summer Sunday drive thru the countryside when we saw this white ' 67 close to the road with a For Sale sign. Body and paint was done, non-original 383 reblt w/ a mild cam, black interior "loosely" re-assembled", and 2 loads of extra ' 66 and ' 67 parts. We were between project cars and bought it for $5K, including delivery to our house.

Still sorting out wiring, headlight, gauges, etc. and selling off extra parts to fund the ongoing reclamation.

Back in the late 60's riding the bus to school, a 1966 charger 4 speed would get stuck behind us once every couple of weeks. We probably were making him late for work and when we turned on to the divided highway, he would swing out around us, rowing the gears as he blasted off to where he was going. A few years later I got a chance to sit in one of these cars and saw the dash lit up at night, all the chrome and fold down seats, From then on I hooked. I have owned literally hundreds of cars but never bought a first Gen Charger. I finally decided I wasn't getting any younger so I found an abused and broken down car and it is getting the resto it deserves.

I bought my 67 383 Charger the end of last summer after selling my 69 Dart w/440. I wanted to bank a few bucks but still have a decent mopar and always liked the 66-67's but never had one, I have owned many musclecars but never one of these. I found it in a local craigslist ad, the owner had fallen on hard times and had to sell He had put a brand new re-man 383 magnum in it, when I bought it the eng had 300 miles on it. He had also done the interior in the orig gold/black The body is clean and straight, kind of a surviver car if you will as it had been painted the orig dark green many yrs ago. After my son and I drove it and it was such a great driving/running car I had to have it! I got it for 7500 and drove it as much as I could till it went to storage for the long winter. Cant wait to get it out as soon as the snow goes away!

I had two family members who had 1st gens as i was growing up. I allways thought they were cool cars and wanted to have one if I ever could. About 5 years ago I found one on Ebay and bid but didnt get it. It never hit its reserve so I called the man and we found a number we could both live with. It had been modified a bit with a fuel cell in the trunk a huge elect pump etc. I have put a new tank & mech pump in and am converting it to a cruiser. The well built 440 & 727 still make a bunch of power and is a blast to drive. I love being the only 1st gen in a sea of clone chevys at cruises and shows.

Last edited:
My best friends brother had a yellow 67 while I was a senior in high school. We used to tear around in that car, 100 plus mph with no seat belts and 4 wheel drum brakes....lived thru it and fell in love with the car. My grandparents told me if I received a scholarship to college, they would buy me a car. Awarded an AF ROTC scholarship that summer, and the 67 was for sale! Then my Dad stepped in and say "No way in hell are you getting that car. You will kill yourself!" And so I got a 66 4 door Impala...ugh! Knew I'd have one some day....once kids grew up, stopped moving every 2/3 years while in the USAF, etc.

Fast forward to 2006, bought my 66 from a guy in Dallas. Car had spent its entire life near Dallas and I am the 3d owner. Bought my 67 back in 2010 and am almost done with the restoration. Will have these cars as long as I can get in and out of them! Started my Mopar gauge restoration business back in 2009 and am happy to help others get these first Gens back on the road.....

Mark

I got a glimpse of a muscle car and turned around to take a look. At first I thiugt it was a real beater, but on closer look, it was mostly all there. price was 5K.

I offered the guy 4k if it ran and I could take a test drive. Came back the next day, drove it, and bought it.

The 361 ran but rough. After a tune-up it still ran rough and determined it had two dead holes. Pulled the valve cover and saw two bent push rods. replaced them and a new rocker shaft and it ran like a top. I've put 12K miles on it in the last 1.5 years. Burns no oil and runs great. REALLY lucked out!

I've got about 3K in paint and fix up.

I found out this was car was bought locally and I am the 3rd. owner. She has 115K original miles. The car is 90% original and cleaned up real good. Even found the build sheet.

First generation chargers are great cars, unique.

I love this car!!!!

Rag

P.S. Thanks to who ever added the 66-67 Charger Forum!

Last edited:
I was raised in a Mopar family, we've always had some form of late 60's/early 70's muscle around the house, but my dad had a black '66, 383 4 speed car (w/ red interior and console clock), and it's always been around.

Shortly after I got my license, I went to look for my own piece of classic muscle, I was searching classified ads for a '68 Charger and found a '66 instead that was only 20 miles from my house, 15 years later and I'm still fixing things here and there on it

I bought mine from the original owner
Its a car i had been eying for some years
I watched her drive it everyday
After a combat tour i came home to find a for sale
Sign in the window
So i picked her up cheap

Another tour caused it to begin its life in storage
And afyer many decades its now getting some much
Deserved attention

I have always liked these years lowered as much as
Can be adding that wide nascar type tire and wheel combo
Kinda like thiz new protouring fad

The car is sexyness the low roofline accents that

Steve

It a cool car that doesn't get the respect it should. Had a friend in High school that had bough two of them. How cool is it that have 4 bucket seat and all the trimmings and gauge packet around you. After 67, all the interiors of the charger went down hill.

I had a guy call me to see if I wanted it and I turned it down twice. Then he called again and I said OK. This car has been one can of worms after another and I'm thinking I should have let him keep it.

I had a guy call me to see if I wanted it and I turned it down twice. Then he called again and I said OK. This car has been one can of worms after another and I'm thinking I should have let him keep it.

I'll take it off you hands, and I won't even charge you! LOL

I love the fastback roofline,hinden headlights,tail lights,4 bucket seats and full lenght console.I have owned 2 good cars and 2 parts cars.

Anyone have one for sale for under 10K????????????????

Auto Transport Service
Back