• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soak window regulators?

icetech

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
So.. got my front window regulators out last night and after sitting for almost 50 years the grease has all turned almost rock hard, i could barely move the windows to get them out, Can you guys recommend what i could soak these in to loosen up/remove that old hard grease? No cleaning tank.. will get a tub and just let them sit for a week or so.. Was just thinking of using Gas or mineral spirits unless someone has a better way?

P.S. the window channels had like a felt in them for the glass to slide on.. mine is all pretty much shot or gone.. Anyone know the exact name i should search for if it's even available?

I soaked mine in evaporust see a pic in post #774

I soaked mine in evaporust see a pic in post #774

Thanks, i didn't know it would work as a degreaser :) Love the stuff for my rusty bits, will give it a try.

There was a thread on here last week about getting the old hard grease out of seat tracks. I believe the window regs use the same type grease.
well pewp... i searched bout regulators.. will take a look, thanks ;)

Evaporust isn't a degreaser. Use mineral spirits (paint thinner) - but you're going to have to scrub them to break up that hard grease - they sell stiff "parts washer" brushes for that.

Are you talking about the glides in the window posts or the catwhiskers across the to of the window channels?
I just ordered a set of those window glides you're talking about from Year One. They ain't cheap but you have no options. Part # FD32230P $ 124.93/pair. If you're rebuilding rear "pop out" windows you'll need a set for them as well.

Evaporust isn't a degreaser. Use mineral spirits (paint thinner) - but you're going to have to scrub them to break up that hard grease - they sell stiff "parts washer" brushes for that.

Are you talking about the glides in the window posts or the catwhiskers across the to of the window channels?
I just ordered a set of those window glides you're talking about from Year One. They ain't cheap but you have no options. Part # FD32230P $ 124.93/pair. If you're rebuilding rear "pop out" windows you'll need a set for them as well.
yeah, i need to clean the inside of the regulator and all.. stuff i can't brush.. gonna soak them since i'm not in a rush.. and that's insane for 2 of those glides.. The older B-bodys use whats like a thin felt tape which is really cheap.. just need to find the right stuff is all

Evaporust may not be a degreaser but it worked effortlessly! just an overnight soak.

I have never done this myself.BUT I had a interior guy tell me years ago to use velcro,the soft part to line the channel.
This was before reproduction parts. Also for the door glass sweeps that attach to the door and inner door panel you can get universal sweeps from places like Steel Rubber Products for a decent price.They don't have factory clips. I installed mine with small screws. The heads bury deep into the felt so no chance of glass being scratched.

I have never done this myself.BUT I had a interior guy tell me years ago to use velcro,the soft part to line the channel.
This was before reproduction parts. Also for the door glass sweeps that attach to the door and inner door panel you can get universal sweeps from places like Steel Rubber Products for a decent price.They don't have factory clips. I installed mine with small screws. The heads bury deep into the felt so no chance of glass being scratched.

K.. the soft side of velcro is honestly genius :) and the industrial velcro sticks like it is holding on for dear life :)

The downside to gas is it's flammable but so are many other products. Gas will work and imo, better than mineral spirits. I've been using mineral spirits for several years now and I really don't like the stuff. Maybe because it's pretty dirty now but even with a change, I'm still not impressed with it. Still haven't tried diesel yet but have heard it works as well as gas but isn't nearly as flammable as gas and costs more but still a lot less than many other solvents. Acetone is a good solvent and will remove caked on grease but it's not exactly cheap and evaps kinda quickly.

Yeah, he showed me how to fold it into the grove and use a paint stick to lodge it in place.
This was 30+ years ago.

Did a bit of research and am first gonna try some stuff called "Purple Power" it's $7 a gallon at walmart and is supposed to eat through grease quickly... will see how it goes

Yeah, he showed me how to fold it into the grove and use a paint stick to lodge it in place.
This was 30+ years ago.
I wish i knew a old school body guy... all those tricks save sooo much time

I wonder if kerosine would be effective? I used to use it as a kid to remove tar along the rocker panels and it sort of leaves a lubricating film unless really scrubbed with detergent to get it off.

I wonder if kerosine would be effective? I used to use it as a kid to remove tar along the rocker panels and it sort of leaves a lubricating film unless really scrubbed with detergent to get it off.
I have read that ATF/Kerosene works well for it... it seems that combo is a magic juice :)

Spray bomb them with either oven cleaner or an engine degreaser, let that stuff do it's job then spray bomb them with a pressure washer, repeat as necessary! Good Luck

Evaporust may not be a degreaser but it worked effortlessly! just an overnight soak.
You got lucky if your springs didn't break. I soaked my front/rears in evaporust for only a few hours and I guess there was just enough rust on one front and one rear one that it had eaten away to weaken the structural integrity and broke apart. I had fun hunting originals down for the next few months lol

You got lucky if your springs didn't break. I soaked my front/rears in evaporust for only a few hours and I guess there was just enough rust on one front and one rear one that it had eaten away to weaken the structural integrity and broke apart. I had fun hunting originals down for the next few months lol
Those springs are pretty heavy, i didn't think they could break.. i'm lucky that most of my car is in good shape, just sitting for decades dried stuff up

Auto Transport Service
Back