• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soda Blaster

satellite66

Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone used or owned the 15lb blaster that Harbor Freight sells? Just wondering how well it works. I have some parts I need to clean. thanks!

Don't know anything about the Harbor Freight blaster, but I have some opinions on some of their other tools..................

I'd probably buy one from Eastwood instead

I know they are cheap tools but, since its something that I'm probably not going to use again once the project I'm working on is done I wanted to avoid spending 299 for a one. Oh well, I guess I'll get it and if it works like crap, I'll just consider it a lesson learned.

Will do. I'm probably go get one this Friday and hopefully try it out this weekend. I noticed you're in CT, ever go to the cruise at the Pavillion Restaurant in Ashaway RI? I went there last week for the first time. It was pretty chilly out so turnout was kind of low.

If you all buy one of those blasters, you will pay 500% over what you could pay on blasting media.

I was checking out Harbor Freight tools the other day in the store down here, and for Plastic Blasting media, in a half gallon size container they wanted $14.99!!!! I was like HOLY SHIIIIITE Batman, I get the same stuff for $.85 a lb.

i did buy an air board(sanding) from them and the first time i used it,it locked up.took it apart and found a screw had vibrated loose in the slider,tightened it up and it's worked fine since,but when i get ready to tear into my runner i will pay a little extra for better tools.

as for your question about the blaster im assuming its air powered ive used a few different sand blasters in the past with different air compressors as far as expensive to cheap sand blasters expensive or cheap there wasnt much of a difference. however a weak compressor that cant keep up makes even the most expensive blaster worthless as for harbor freight tools ive used enough of them to say if your not going to be using them for a living they usually will work for you. they may not have as much power and wont last as long but for only about 1/10th the price if it gets the job done thats up to you how you want to spend your money

why not just rent a good one for a weekend instead of buying a crappy one?

I steer clear of soda. Its caustic and if you don't clean it off really, really well it will ruin any paint you try and put over it. The guy that blasts for me hated it.

As for HF tools: I have had a hit or miss. Some work great, others are junk in a short time. I usually try them first and get a "good" one later after I know I will be using the tool a lot.

For something big like a blaster, I also recommend Eastwood.

Randy

why not just rent a good one for a weekend instead of buying a crappy one?

Oh if only I had used that philosophy my garage wouldn't be as full as it is now....:rolling:

I've used HF stuff, it is hit and miss, but if you need something cheap and quick, they can fit the bill.

As for the ultimate soda blaster, wouldn't that be Diet Coke and Mentos?

I had parts soda blast and power washed it afterwards and primerand paint came out great

A couple months ago I came across a pretty good review of the HF soda blaster (found it on google, but now I can't find it). Pretty much this guy said it would be good for parts and small sections but for a whole car it would take you forever. The thing I don't like just looking at it is how short the hose is and that it doesn't have a deadman valve, of course you can change those I suppose

I have a HF blaster(pressure pot)the only problem I have with it was the valve ,I put a deadman valve on and havent had a problem since .think about it not much to go wrong with it tank, valves,hoses

So true! Also, PPG will not warranty their paints if used on Corvette (fiberglass) bodies if they were Soda Blasted. I'm a professional Media Blaster and Soda is great for pool clean outs, mold removal/cleaning, and graffiti removal.
I steer clear of soda. Its caustic and if you don't clean it off really, really well it will ruin any paint you try and put over it. The guy that blasts for me hated it...

Randy

From what I've read though, soda blasting doesn't cause the warping other media can. Which media would you recommend in lieu of soda? What I need to clean are inner fenders and other parts, not outer sheetmetal. This is for my other (nonmopar) project. I have to dig through my Hemmings Muscle Machines, I know they did an article on soda blasting in an issue a couple of months ago or so.
As for renting a blaster, does anyone know who has them? I checked Taylor Rental (I think they're national) and they don't have it.

Auto Transport Service
Back