• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

solid roller cam/bronze oil pump drive gear wear

stage3

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
what is everyone doing to eliminate solid roller cam wear to bronze oil pump/distributor gear,,,the billet rollers will whittle away the bronze gear upon each revolution. anyone with these cams have seen it happen. radious the cam teeth ? i pulled mine out today and appx 10% has been shaved off by the cam.

Hughes engine has them, pricey but....
like this 1..
HUG 6213BB

OIL PUMP DRV SHAFT W/ TREATED STEEL GEAR

BIG BLOCK 1045 STEEL SHAFT W/ HARDENED TIP & TREATED STEEL GEAR

$178.95

We now offer the chemically treated (melonized) steel gear mounted on our custom made 1045 steel shaft for big block engines.
The "treated" iron gear is a lifetime gear that can be used with any cam. The shafts are made exclusively for us and are available separately by ordering part #6220. The shaft and gear are assembled and pinned here in our shop.
High volume, or high pressure oil pumps are not recommended as they accelerate wear on any cam gear and oil pump drive gear.

Any new (or cleaned) cam - roller, billet, cast, flat tappet, or what have you...cleaned means no residue from the old gear.

never had a problem with bronze oil pump drives.
seems like all new cams today r not radioused on the gears to prevent whittling away the bronze teeth. i have experianced this for the last 10 years with my ols 480 inch hemi to todays 440. cant sell bronze gears if they r radiased to be compatible with them. but good for u.

like this 1..
HUG 6213BB

OIL PUMP DRV SHAFT W/ TREATED STEEL GEAR

BIG BLOCK 1045 STEEL SHAFT W/ HARDENED TIP & TREATED STEEL GEAR

$178.95

We now offer the chemically treated (melonized) steel gear mounted on our custom made 1045 steel shaft for big block engines.
The "treated" iron gear is a lifetime gear that can be used with any cam. The shafts are made exclusively for us and are available separately by ordering part #6220. The shaft and gear are assembled and pinned here in our shop.
High volume, or high pressure oil pumps are not recommended as they accelerate wear on any cam gear and oil pump drive gear.

Any new (or cleaned) cam - roller, billet, cast, flat tappet, or what have you...cleaned means no residue from the old gear.
That’s the one

where r the plastic gears the chevy guys get...........seems better to take a dremel tool with a stone and radious the teeth of the cam. all the above says use for basicly stock pumps only,,no high volume or pressure pumps. that excludes milodon pumps.

There should be absolutely no need to radius the cam gear teeth. These are helical gears - this means that the contact point is quite small on each tooth but multiple teeth are making contact at the same time. As the gears turn the contact point moves up (or down) on each gear face and the contact point is optimal (similar to the contact pattern on a set of rear gears). The edges of the gears should have virtually no contact. If you're experiencing wear of the bronze gear, look elsewhere. Is there too much play in the bushing? Is the cam moving forward or backward? Is the drive gear moving up or down?

There should be absolutely no need to radius the cam gear teeth. These are helical gears - this means that the contact point is quite small on each tooth but multiple teeth are making contact at the same time. As the gears turn the contact point moves up (or down) on each gear face and the contact point is optimal (similar to the contact pattern on a set of rear gears). The edges of the gears should have virtually no contact. If you're experiencing wear of the bronze gear, look elsewhere. Is there too much play in the bushing? Is the cam moving forward or backward? Is the drive gear moving up or down?
people R having this problem where as melonized gears R being made for these applications,,companys have gone so far as to make plastisied gears for roller cams, i have had this problem on no less than 4 differant blocks, 1 of them was a 67 hemi...seems the cam manf today dont radious the teeth like they did in previous years,,,the cam/bronze gear i pulled out of my hemi block from back in the day mated itself to the cam gear and never wore anymore since then....its not from bad factory machining location process's,,,,the last motor i had in my 1971 barracuda, i ysed the dremel tool on it, wore in to a certain depth and no more....trying to get away from that...looking to see what other people r doing.

what is everyone doing to eliminate solid roller cam wear to bronze oil pump/distributor gear,,,the billet rollers will whittle away the bronze gear upon each revolution. anyone with these cams have seen it happen. radious the cam teeth ? i pulled mine out today and appx 10% has been shaved off by the cam.

You may have something odd going on. I've never had a problem with excessive wear on the bronze gear. About 1,000 runs with billet roller 500# + spring pressure. High pressure oil pump. Just say'n.

You may have something odd going on. I've never had a problem with excessive wear on the bronze gear. About 1,000 runs with billet roller 500# + spring pressure. High pressure oil pump. Just say'n.
could be,,the older cam that came out of the motor mated itself to the gear and never wore more than that, i did touch the tops of the teeth with my dremel stone before i installed it (compo cams) so i will run it some more and keep an eye on it. its just that with every roller cam i have used in the last 10+ years i go thru the same thing. 1 was so bad i had to to pull the cam back out and radious the teeth because in a short period of time the gear was more than half gone! seems like the cam manf left out a final step in cam grinding these days ?

could be,,the older cam that came out of the motor mated itself to the gear and never wore more than that, i did touch the tops of the teeth with my dremel stone before i installed it (compo cams) so i will run it some more and keep an eye on it. its just that with every roller cam i have used in the last 10+ years i go thru the same thing. 1 was so bad i had to to pull the cam back out and radious the teeth because in a short period of time the gear was more than half gone! seems like the cam manf left out a final step in cam grinding these days ?

Do you use a thrust button?

From the ones you didn't have excessive wear vs the ones that did have excessive wear....were the engine combinations different? High volume vs normal volume pumps? How bout oils?

From the ones you didn't have excessive wear vs the ones that did have excessive wear....were the engine combinations different? High volume vs normal volume pumps? How bout oils?
only 1's without "excessive" wear were an older unit that came in 2 differant motors all runing high volume oil pumps and the newer units that i put a good radious on the teeth with the dremel. the teeth on these new cams r sharp. i have a crane roller in the new short block that needs the teeth smoothed, and yes all engines r running high volume pumps. all external pickups. there's a reason its the expendable part in the system but it doesn't have to be that expendable. just curious what others r running. thanks. if that 200.00 hughes gear would work, i would use it.....

Auto Transport Service
Back