• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some cool history

vintage chromoly

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Hello all.
Eight years ago I bought a 68 coronet RT as a gift to myself for making it 40 years on this planet. :bananadance:

During the buying process, I looked at 20 or so cars all over the east coast. Ironically, I found the RT 35 miles from my house. One of the cool things about the car, is that I have provenance back to day 1. I have the original bill of sale, owners manual and a few other docs. I’m the 4th owner. I know owners 2 and 3 and have the story on owner 1.

The original owner was a barber in Lakewood Ohio. His name was Heinz Wink. The car was bought in Cleveland at a spitzer dodge dealer that is still there today. He bought it as a drag car, and as such it has minimal options. Power steering is about it.

The car has 42,000 original miles on it as it was retired from racing and stowed in 1972. The 2nd owner found it in 1991. The car had 4.10:1 gears, fenderwell headers, aftermarket carb and slicks when found. The original engine was in the garage with the car.

Anyhow, when I bought it from owner 3, he told me who owner 2 was. I ran into owner 2 at a car show and he told me all the details about finding and fixing up the car (it was an above average amateur “restoration” to reverse the drag racing mods).
In talking with him, he mentioned that he had the original back glass from the car in his barn. When they fixed the car up, they used a clean donor car for the inner fender repairs (fenderwell headers) and they used the back glass from the donor car because the original glass has a bunch or track decals on it and the donor glass was super nice.
I bought the glass from him and hung it in my barn as tribute to the car’s roots. There are class win decals from Norwalk and dragway 42 and one from Thompson.
Here are a few pics:

C467C70A-B011-4D29-82D6-49A95ADD09B0.jpeg 8E860310-F163-402F-90FA-746CF34E6F2E.jpeg 24388579-0967-43D3-B34C-2B2F2B8B0A3A.jpeg D0802E95-3E9A-4744-9FC0-12840EC7F799.jpeg

Picture of the car for those who have’t seen it. I’ve “day two’d” it a bit:

F97392E0-AEC7-4043-BF36-9FDF30315A33.jpeg 4B66E603-D56D-4560-8AC9-151D1E5ABF6F.jpeg

My brother would drool over that color!

Great story!

Is the glass in good shape? Almost tempting to put it back to marry it back again.....

Surprised he just didn’t give you the glass......

Great story!

Is the glass in good shape? Almost tempting to put it back to marry it back again.....

Surprised he just didn’t give you the glass......
It’s not in bad shape. I haven’t really cleaned it or looked super closely though.

I had to pay 50 bucks for the glass. Owner 2 told me he had it at one of Mike Ross’s pot luck gatherings (I live 10 minutes from EB&A) and that it should be with the car. Of course, I was stoked and agreed. I figured he’d just give it to me as well. (I would have given it to the new owner).
He told me to call him and we’d meet for an exchange. When we met he wanted a 50. :realcrazy:
Of course, I gladly paid him, but thought such an insignificant bit of money was weird.

It’s not in bad shape. I haven’t really cleaned it or looked super closely though.

I had to pay 50 bucks for the glass. Owner 2 told me he had it at one of Mike Ross’s pot luck gatherings (I live 10 minutes from EB&A) and that it should be with the car. Of course, I was stoked and agreed. I figured he’d just give it to me as well. (I would have given it to the new owner).
He told me to call him and we’d meet for an exchange. When we met he wanted a 50. :realcrazy:
Of course, I gladly paid him, but thought such an insignificant bit of money was weird.
I agree....just strange but in the end you got an original piece to the car and some good history with it.....

When the car was found in 1991 the original 727 was gone and a replacement was in the car. Apparently the original trans went by the wayside early on and was replaced.

Given that fact, and after much soul searching, I swapped in an 833 last winter. I saved all the auto stuff, so it could be reversed if so desired during a proper restoration at some point. I’ll probably never convert it back, but someday, maybe someone will.

During the swap, it got some TTI headers, a Hurst shifter, a column mounted tach, a Holley 750DP and a good clutch and SFI flywheel.

Other than that, it’s pretty “factory appearing”

B72BF23A-A5AD-46B3-A0E3-25AABA81FB3B.jpeg E8617775-C3AC-41D7-B91B-245C6C922729.jpeg

You won’t ever change back to an auto......

Perfect marriage with a Mopar.

1968 Coronet R/T my all time favorite Mopar !

Auto Transport Service
Back