• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some drag supsension questions seeking recommendations

RonP

Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
After a number of years playing in the modern Hemi arena, I picked this car up to have something old school to run as well.

I only have three passes on it because the first two resulted in a little more front end lift than I expected and more of a problem was the landing.

in slow motion, the front wheels wobbled something terrible on landing. I mean scary looking.
So the last pass I tightened the front QA1s up like 6 clicks and that resulted in a ton less front end lift and the car went 5.99 in the 1/8th. I need to get this thing sorted out.

SO outside of making sure nothing is completely wore out, what direction should I go?
I was looking at the QA1 upper and lower control arms as well as the adjustable strut rods.

I have no idea what the alignment specs are right now as I am sure someone is wondering that.
.facebook_1518008053306.jpg

any input/opinions are much appreciated.

My experience is they will wobble if it lands hard. My belief is this phenomenon happens do to the change in front track width. As the suspension droops the track narrows. Tight front rebound has definately has helped mine. I've seen cars do it with solid bushings.
Doug

I think that as you become comfortable driving your car and drive thru the wheels up, the wobble will subside considerably. As long as the front end doesn't get too high. This will allow the front too settle smoothly, from my experience...:moparsmiley:
Bob

i'm a piss poor suspension guy, but I sure do love the way that dodge looks! that's a beauty!

Should probably look at the rear shocks, too. They should be valved / adjusted to work in conjunction with the front to provide the desired weight transfer, but limit losing drive-ability (pulling the front off the ground). Have not seen too many QA1 drag setups, mostly JRi, Lakewood, and CE.

Nice looking car, by the way. Good luck.

Check the alignment. The old school trick was to measure the toe change through range of suspension travel, if IRC then bend center link to minimize the amount of change. Limiting up travel will tend to minimize the change on landing. You will get used to the lift. The car is beautiful, and fast.

Alignment and zero toe pattern will not correct this condition. The key is a smooth landing. The harder the front end falls, the worse it gets.
Doug

Thanks everyone.

I do think the comments about getting used to it are on target. The last drag car I had was a 6.0 1/8th duster and it was not as angry on the leave as this car is. Plus I have been running modern Challengers for the last 5-6 years into the 10's in the 1/4 but they left nothing like this. Seat time will hopefully help because there is a good chance my reactions in the car are making it worse..

I am going to look over the front suspension tomorrow. I do know that it has really large diameter tie rod adjustment sleeves and the strut rods look aftermarket.
The car has single adjustable QA1s on the front and double adjustable QA1's on the rear. The rear is an old floater setup with leaf springs. Also going to take a look at video I have a little closer as the rear shocks probably do need some tweaking as mentioned.

I just got the trans back in it last night as I had a pretty good leak up front. Hopefully that is taking care of now and Sunday I hope to put a few runs on it.

As side note if anyone see this: The car has 31x10.50s on it and it has a 4.88 gear. Most local tracks are 1/8th mile, but I am thinking that is not going to work well in the 1/8th....I have a brand new 4.56 pro gear I could put in the Dana. thoughts?

Thanks again

Thanks everyone.

I do think the comments about getting used to it are on target. The last drag car I had was a 6.0 1/8th duster and it was not as angry on the leave as this car is. Plus I have been running modern Challengers for the last 5-6 years into the 10's in the 1/4 but they left nothing like this. Seat time will hopefully help because there is a good chance my reactions in the car are making it worse..

I am going to look over the front suspension tomorrow. I do know that it has really large diameter tie rod adjustment sleeves and the strut rods look aftermarket.
The car has single adjustable QA1s on the front and double adjustable QA1's on the rear. The rear is an old floater setup with leaf springs. Also going to take a look at video I have a little closer as the rear shocks probably do need some tweaking as mentioned.

I just got the trans back in it last night as I had a pretty good leak up front. Hopefully that is taking care of now and Sunday I hope to put a few runs on it.

As side note if anyone see this: The car has 31x10.50s on it and it has a 4.88 gear. Most local tracks are 1/8th mile, but I am thinking that is not going to work well in the 1/8th....I have a brand new 4.56 pro gear I could put in the Dana. thoughts?

Thanks again

I remember carrying the front wheels till the second gear change, on a few runs. Wasn`t real high, about 8/12'' . The steering wheel position had a lot to do w/ it. As u get use to it, keeping the wheel in the same position as when it left the ground will stop most if not all of it. ''IF EVERYTHING IS RIGHT IN THE FRONT END''

Thanks everyone.

Thanks again
Depends on rpm level. I run 10.5w31/4.30. In the 1/8 it's probably 6500-6600@117 (1/4, 7100@146). I made chrome moly strut rods, 5/8" tube tie rod sleeves for mine. It'll still wobble if the front shocks are loose. I have run QA1 singles on the front. Worked pretty good between zero to -2 clicks from full tight.
Doug
FB_IMG_1505299192887.jpg

Ron, I also have a piece of tape on the steering wheel which helps to keep it centered and lessens any adverse reactions as the front settles. As you get more seat time and make more passes the uneasiness will subside.
Bob :moparsmiley:

Depends on rpm level. I run 10.5w31/4.30. In the 1/8 it's probably 6500-6600@117 (1/4, 7100@146). I made chrome moly strut rods, 5/8" tube tie rod sleeves for mine. It'll still wobble if the front shocks are loose. I have run QA1 singles on the front. Worked pretty good between zero to -2 clicks from full tight.
Doug View attachment 583094

Thanks for the data. If I get to run it Sunday, I might just tighten them up some more.

Ron, I also have a piece of tape on the steering wheel which helps to keep it centered and lessens any adverse reactions as the front settles. As you get more seat time and make more passes the uneasiness will subside.
Bob :moparsmiley:
Thanks. I might just try that and I am sure more seat time will help.....especially with a new to me-- car

Beautiful car. I can't help with suspension settings. Our '63 is a "land lover"...never pulls the wheels. Is your car the old "Dennis the Mennace" car? Looks very similar. I think the owner lived in Florida last I heard. Good luck.

Beautiful car. I can't help with suspension settings. Our '63 is a "land lover"...never pulls the wheels. Is your car the old "Dennis the Mennace" car? Looks very similar. I think the owner lived in Florida last I heard. Good luck.

Yes, the car is the old "Dennis the Mennace" car.
206546_140674792668966_5604185_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back