• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something you Remember... but Why ?

WileERobby

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
It's been over 50 years since I bought my first car ... a Dodge of course ! And I can recite EXACTLY, without hesitation, the entire VIN of that car ! Now, I don't even know the license plate numbers of my current cars today. What is it that makes an indelible mark on your mind ? Anybody have "total recall" on something, or someone, or some event, that you would ordinarily think would be long forgotten ?

I can remember production numbers, torque specs, engine specs, stupid things like that that I don’t even need. My bank account number that I used weekly, it took me forever to remember that.
:rofl:

1Q87Q6N566307
That is the VIN of a 76 Camaro I bought in 1986. I remember VINs, license plates, phone numbers...I remember the engine number on my 3 HP min ibike I had when I was 14.
H3O35231H.
Yeah....
I can't count cards like Rain Man though.

1Q87Q6N566307
That is the VIN of a 76 Camaro I bought in 1986. I remember VINs, license plates, phone numbers...I remember the engine number on my 3 HP min ibike I had when I was 14.
H3O35231H.
Yeah....
I can't count cards like Rain Man though.
Yes ! that's what I'm talkin' about ! Now, do you know the VIN of any of your current vehicles ?

what's that ?
Hee Haw

A1416519-8784-414A-B737-CF8E2906B27B.jpeg

I know the VIN’s of both of my E87 D21 cars. BS23V0B******, XS29V0G******. :D But I’ve owned them since the mid 80’s.

Before the advent of cell phones, I could remember about 100 phone numbers. I just had trouble remembering which one belonged to who!

I’ve read that the memory center of the brain is very complex. We seem to remember stuff that was so casually gathered in our lives.
It is amazing that we can recall things from 50-60 years ago yet forget a person’s name 30 seconds after we are introduced to them.

3.141592653589793238...........................................................................................................................................................

I've been pondering this myself lately. When I have a memory or feeling associated with it, it is much more likely to retain such detail for recollection at a later time. Found this true with smells, tastes, music... A wise man once told me "Nick, you may not remember the person's name but you'll never forget how they made you feel". This has been a fact for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back