• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes things just come together.

Canyon707

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
We all know that 2020 was not the best year to be drag racing. After 2019 knee replacement I was fortunate to hang out at home and ponder what to do to my race car. I have a ton of fun racing this roadrunner but, it seemed difficult to see that elusive 9-second number. I ran a 1050 Dominator on my 511 but for some reason even with it re-jetted and rebuilt by Pro Systems it always smelled like race gas. So doing some calculations I upgraded to an 1150 Gen 3 Ultra. A simple bolt-on process. I also reset the valve lash tighter in the process of this modification. I took it out on 11/4/2020 a Wednesday night drags in Sonoma. One of the last of the year races. here is what it ran 60' 1.396 330' 3.977 1/8 6.164 MPH 111.710 1000' 8.069 1/4 9.738 mph 127.81. I actually let off the throttle before the end of the 1/4 mile as I was getting smoke in the car. I didn't know what was actually happening but I had to get off the throttle. I was by myself that night and thought the best thing was to put it on the trailer and go home. So later that week I got to take a look at the video, and checking over the motor and each cylinder and couldn't find anything wrong but, I had yet to solve what had happened. I did discover that my evact system had put some oil into my collectors so I began to look deeper into that. I run a Moroso Acuminlator to provide positive oil pressure in my engine it actually holds 3 qts of oil in addition to the 7 qts in my pan. I followed Moroso tech support guy and put in the oil required but, come to find out it's to much oil. that took a few days to resolve and I pulled out 1 quart changed my Evac system and relocated those to the front of the engine. So it's ready now to try it again. I am also working on my front suspension tossing away my Calvert shocks for some Double adjustable Viking drag shocks to keep my front wheels on the ground. This I hope to see better 60' times. If anyone has any advice I am always open to comments. I do have a video that I will upload also

congrats on hitting the 9's
impressively I may add
9.738 @ 127.81 off it thru the lights

thanks for sharing the story too

hope the recovery from knee replacements is going well too

good luck next time out
maybe a 9.69 @ 135 (or better) in your future :poke:
with good RAD/conditions, track prep, no headwind or crosswinds,
Sonoma's (ol' Sears Point) good track to do it at

Man, probably would have done a 135/136!? What's on it for a pan etc?

I would say you killed very little ET. Like
.02-.03 8-9 mph. Tight the compression on the front shocks so there is no bounce when coming down from the wheel stand. No tighter. Keep tightening the front extension until it spins an slows down. You'll be amazed how tight you can run them.
Doug

impressively I may add

good luck next time out
My knee surgery went great. Not new but pain-free. Yes, I would do it again. The car was really running great. Not sure if it was the new carb and the lash adjustment but, I think both had to play some role.

.02-.03 8-9 mph. Tight the compression on the front shocks so there is no bounce when coming down from the wheel stand. No tighter. Keep tightening the front extension until it spins an slows down. You'll be amazed how tight you can run them.
Doug
I need another run or two as the timing was set to 33 degrees also. I am really hoping to nearly eliminate the wheelies. The Calvert 90/10 doesn't help. Need to slow-motion video the launces. that's this year's objective.

Enjoyed your read, congratulations on your times.

impressively I may add

good luck next time out
I think it will do more but the big question for me do I want to really be below 10 seconds. Sonoma is very strict in enforcing NHRA rules and although my car has the safety equipment i"m just not sure if I want to dress up on a hot day do go do that. I usually go to the races alone and that in itself has a certain amount of work to race.

Doug

I have been watching a few youtube programs on this whole idea of proper launch and weight transfer. Learning a lot now I just need to go try it out. Thanks for your tips.

Auto Transport Service
Back