• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Somewhat latest information about Craftsman tools

Funship32

Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
From a tool/forging/foundry site that I follow:

New Plant May Follow Stanley Black & Decker, Craftsman Deal
Stanley Black & Decker Inc. reportedly will build a new manufacturing plant in the U.S., a $35-million capital investment, in a bid to support the “Buy American” industrial and trade policies advocated by President-elect Donald J. Trump. Details of the new plant development — such its location, schedule for development, and the products to be manufactured there — are unknown.

It’s also unclear whether the stated value of the investment represents a total cost, or an initial development cost.

What is significant about the deal is that Sears currently contracts with Asian and other manufacturers to produce the Craftsman products, but Stanley plans to produce its version the U.S.

More information here: http://forgingmagazine.com/forming/new-plant-may-follow-stanley-black-decker-craftsman-deal

Great article. I've been a fan of Craftsman since I was a youngin'. Initially, it sounds like a good direction for the brand until the part where Stanley has to lease back the rights to Sears which means Sears will still be sourcing foreign made tools and selling them in their stores while Stanley's US made products will be sold through other outlets, both competing with each other. I know which one I'll be buying from (even if the price point is slightly higher).

picked up a nice 20pc set last weekend

IMG_0675.JPG

After my last set of tools from Craftsman I'm done unless of coarse they do return to USA. Last set was noticeably different, looked like crap and was no longer proudly marked American Made. Hope they come back.

Agree. There ratchets aren't as good as they were. BUSTED KNUCKLES!!
Black and Decker may bring them back from the dead.
B & D is owner of DeWalt tools. And although I am a Milwaukee guy, DeWalt is a respectable brand.:thumbsup:

I think the promise of lower corp tax isn't hurting things move along....

A lower corporate tax will help immensely- but I hardly think it's right around the corner. Trump can't sign executive orders on everything. Sooner or later he's going to start having to go thru congress for his policies. The proof will be in that. I hope he lowers individual tax rates for,the middle class too. We need to get this,economy rolling. Craftsman made in China isn't Craftsman. I want buy them. Make them in the USA and I'm a buyer again.

I'm looking forward to the drop in outsourcing our products overseas too. I really don't like it when stuff is made overseas because it can be done cheaper and yet you pay a higher price for it. WTF! Number one, our products need to be made here. There are too many people out of work because of the outsourcing for corporate greed. The Don is going to make it happen for us!

I'm looking forward to the drop in outsourcing our products overseas too. I really don't like it when stuff is made overseas because it can be done cheaper and yet you pay a higher price for it. WTF! Number one, our products need to be made here. There are too many people out of work because of the outsourcing for corporate greed. The Don is going to make it happen for us!
Yep. The quality of product goes down, price goes up.
We get fucked

Sears, along with many others, outsourced their products in order to be more profitable and they croak instead. Speaks volumes for the capability, experience etc for the management. Too much of a disconnect with the top of the ladder and the worker/consumer. Yes I know a monkey could do my job because I'm not upper echelon but the same applies to you Mr Knowital. I remember from working at dealerships that this was the outlook of some of the GM's. Funny how the didn't seem to last there. Another nice thing about the Don is that he is going to crack down on the regulation and strong arming which is probably the main killer of business. I'll be ecstatic to see tons of former federal employees who no longer are employed and will no longer be in a position to extort/bully businesses and individuals. This is something that needs to happen at the local levels too.

I agree with747 Mopar. After my last expierence with a Craftsman socket set I'd never buy another one. I bought a ratchet at AutoZone that far out performs that POS I bought from Sears

I have a set of Craftsman ratchets from the mid-late 1980s. I've used them for a lot of years, and it remains a great set. Was at Sears a couple of months ago, and happened to go by the tool section. The tools on the shelf should be sold by Harbor Freight, except Harbor Freight would sell them 90% cheaper. Sad what has happened to Craftsman tools. They were never quite in the Snap-On class even back then, but were good, solid, reliable tools that would usually outlast their owner. I don't think the current tools are like that.

Still have a 1/2 12 point set I got in 1972. Used them with impact, as a seal installer, as a spacer for a press ect. Never split or rounded out and they were used 40yrs when I worked in dealer and independent shops. When I yard sale I always pickup the old made in USA Craftsman. I hope they come back with the old quality.

Never happen - once they go chinesium they never come back. Find another brand of quality.

This is really good news to see Craftsman come back. I also heard Skill Saw is building a new electric tool plant in Maine. So all good news. The only thing is how long will it take Stanley to rebuild the Craftsman name since the idiots from Sears have destroyed the brand.

Last edited:
Most of my tools are 40 years old.
Started with Husky as a starter set in the 70's (USA made at the time) and graduated to Craftsman (all USA made).
Craftsman are the majority of my tools which even today, the 40 year old tools have held up really well. Couldn"t afford the Snap On tools, but loved their quality.
Recently needed a long handle, 1/2 in rachet and bought a Proto because it was USA made. Nice tool, helped with my torsion bar removal.
Recently bought a Husky needle nose channel lock plyer- from HD-total garbage- Had to pull out my old vice grips to do the job.
I hope Craftsman USA returns.
Dino2 (1).gif

Proto Long Handle wrench top.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back