• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound deadner

Roger63

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
I've been looking at sound deadner so I thought I would ask everyone what their preference is. Please tell me what brand and why you choose it.
Thanks

KILMAT all the way. Best bang for the buck. All brands are essentially foil lined butyl. It's not rocket science. Duramat, etc. are just ripping people off.
Before I lined a roof I did a variety of heat tests with a heat gun and a torch on a scrap piece of metal. The heat made it stick harder. We have used it on three builds now. Good ****.
It comes in several different thicknesses.

Amazon product ASIN B0751CBXBT

KILMAT all the way. Best bang for the buck. All brands are essentially foil lined butyl. It's not rocket science. Duramat, etc. are just ripping people off.
Before I lined a roof I did a variety of heat tests with a heat gun and a torch on a scrap piece of metal. The heat made it stick harder. We have used it on three builds now. Good ****.
It comes in several different thicknesses.

Amazon product ASIN B0751CBXBT
What thickness did you use?

Noico, on amazon, less money than Kilmat and the same stuff. Just about to do another car with it now

Has anyone used X-Mat, available from Eastwood, and any comments on it ?

I've been looking at sound deadner so I thought I would ask everyone what their preference is. Please tell me what brand and why you choose it.
Thanks

239EC315-1A99-4243-9BE3-DFA785D720DF.png

I actually used this it’s cheap and it works just like the expensive stuff.

Home Depot duct insulation here too. I like that it is a reasonable low-tack adhesive and could potentially remove it if I needed. I hung the bubble foil behind the back seat and rear tray too

5DB1DC32-20C1-43BE-B702-AF7C373CDA0E.jpeg

26FB052E-E916-4F8F-8D6B-17C3E84A04EB.jpeg

As said above, all the deadeners that are foil backed butyl are the same, the only difference is thickness. When I did mine, the Noico from Amazon was the cheapest, and had great reviews. Worked a treat for me, great adhesion, etc.

Some deadeners are not butyl but are instead foil with a tar-like substance. These often get mixed reviews (bad smell and poor adhesion are the top complaints) and are not significantly cheaper. I’d personally avoid taking a chance with those.

FYI, Sound deadeners have to have some mass to deaden the panel vibration. Anything lightweight could be good for heat insulation but will not deaden vibration.

Went with kilmat but haven't installed it yet... Just curious has anyone driven their car before and after? Did it make that much of a difference? and anyone do the inside the door skins?

Went with kilmat but haven't installed it yet... Just curious has anyone driven their car before and after? Did it make that much of a difference? and anyone do the inside the door skins?
I did sound deadener, closed-cell foam (for heat) and the backed carpet and it made a significant difference. Doors close with a much more 'solid' feel, noise inside the car is much improved.

Definitely consider doing inside the doors, they're big panels. With deadener you only need to cover about 30% of the surface for it to be effective.

I did sound deadener, closed-cell foam (for heat) and the backed carpet and it made a significant difference. Doors close with a much more 'solid' feel, noise inside the car is much improved.

Definitely consider doing inside the doors, they're big panels. With deadener you only need to cover about 30% of the surface for it to be effective.
Thanks, i was planning to, also inside the rear quarters (under the glass.. not in the trunk) Since i have to take it all apart anyway to clean/lube the regulators.. wanted to make sure i wasn't wasting time/money..

Auto Transport Service
Back