• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Source for drum rebuild for 63 Sport Fury

jball1105

Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
I was looking at Dr. Diff's rebuild kit but that was only for '65 and up. Anyone have a source for a rebuild kit for a '63?

Thanks,
Jesse

I have 2 complete front drum assemblies, including the spindles, with ball joints, that were working perfectly when I dis-assembled my '63 330. I'm changing to a front disc set up, so I will probably let them go when I get mine back together. I'm just waiting 'til the change-over is complete, in case it doesn't work out...
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG

Are you looking for new shoes, springs and hardware? Rockauto will have what you need.

Sorry, I should have provided more info. This is for the rear brakes. I converted the front to disc. Not sure what a hub rebuild is? I am looking to replace the shoes, springs, wheel cylinder, etc. I checked rock auto and found lots of options, but they were listed by sizes like 10" x 2.5" which is what was in Dr. Diffs kit that apparently won't work for my car. Just wanted to be sure I am ordering the right stuff. I

This must be the conversion you are referring to?
http://hotrodsandhemis.com/TaperedAxleBrakes.html

Nope. That's for the rear. What I posted is for the front. I supplied my build thread that covers what I did.

Thought you were talking about the front. I used Dr Diff for the newer style flanged axels and parts needed. Then used the 1970 E Body Brake Drums. That's in my build thread also.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/page-11

Last edited:
Now I don't know what to do. I was planning converting to discs in the back as well, however, in the interest saving some money and keeping the project moving I thought I would just keep the rear drum brakes. Now it seems like that it getting complicated too......

Now I don't know what to do. I was planning converting to discs in the back as well, however, in the interest saving some money and keeping the project moving I thought I would just keep the rear drum brakes. Now it seems like that it getting complicated too......

:lol: Like a kid in a candy store, too many choices!

The cheapest is to keep it as is. As long as you have a drum puller, how many times do you really need to remove them?

If your original drums are out of spec and won't clean up, I'd go with the conversion.

Then the more expensive way is like I posted with the newer axels from Dr. Diff. You'll need the newer style backing plates, shoes and hardware and drums. 1970 E body parts is what I used. I believe I had around $300 total in the conversion.

Then I'm guessing the disc brake conversion would be the most expensive. Good luck in your decision!

:lol: Like a kid in a candy store, too many choices!

The cheapest is to keep it as is. As long as you have a drum puller, how many times do you really need to remove them?

If your original drums are out of spec and won't clean up, I'd go with the conversion.

Then the more expensive way is like I posted with the newer axels from Dr. Diff. You'll need the newer style backing plates, shoes and hardware and drums. 1970 E body parts is what I used. I believe I had around $300 total in the conversion.

Then I'm guessing the disc brake conversion would be the most expensive. Good luck in your decision!
If I go with the original drums do I have to seperate the drum and hub to get them turned? I would have to deal with the swedged bolts if I do, right? If not, maybe that's where I start. Pull the drum, see if will clean up, and if not then go with the conversion?

If I go with the original drums do I have to seperate the drum and hub to get them turned? I would have to deal with the swedged bolts if I do, right? If not, maybe that's where I start. Pull the drum, see if will clean up, and if not then go with the conversion?

If you check around on who can turn drums, then tell them the inside diameter of the hub center and see if their drum lathe has that size shaft.

Once you drill out the swedged studs I'm sure that's it. You won't be able to replace the swedged stud. You'll have to use regular splined studs and the drums listed in the article.

If you check around on who can turn drums, then tell them the inside diameter of the hub center and see if their drum lathe has that size shaft.

Once you drill out the swedged studs I'm sure that's it. You won't be able to replace the swedged stud. You'll have to use regular splined studs and the drums listed in the article.
Thanks for your help!

Auto Transport Service
Back