• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Southern Man In Critical Condition After Being Served Unsweetened Tea

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
February 1st, 2022
article-10427-1.jpg

KNOXVILLE, TN—A southern man was immediately rushed to the hospital yesterday after being served unsweetened tea, believing it to be sweet tea.

The ambulance arrived at Litton’s restaurant at approximately 2:15pm after being called by another restaurant patron. The man was found completely unresponsive due to an immense shock to his senses. According to others having lunch at the time, the man seemed to be perfectly normal and healthy, until he took a small sip of his drink.

“He was just sitting there enjoying his meal, until all of a sudden he just violently collapsed onto the floor, spilling food and drink everywhere!” said Opal Maynard, a Litton’s waitress. “Next thing we know he’s convulsing on the floor and foaming out the mouth.”

The man remained in critical condition until he arrived at the University of Tennessee Medical Center where doctors noticed his dangerously low blood sugar levels. Nurses quickly administered an IV of McDonald’s sweet tea, saving his life.

At this time, Fountain City PD does not suspect any foul play led to the man being served tea without any sugar. They have requested that the restaurant update their beverage labeling and have instructed them to add an extra bag of granulated sugar to their tea per mix, just to be safe.

The individual is expected to make a full recovery and has already returned to drinking tea the proper way, so sweet you can chew it.

I figured this was accurate until someone said 'mcdonalds tea'... no true Southern Man would ever go to mcdonalds.
But incorrect tea could cause this!

Working on a construction crew years ago, they would send the "gopher" out for coffee. Everyone put in their order, I'll only drink mine black. When they handed me mine I took a big gulp and I had to spit it out. It was loaded with sugar! Yeah I wasn't right for the rest of the day either so the opposite could happen.

Should have gave him regular Turkey Hill Ice Tea!!! It's mostly what I drink.

Onion strikes again

Most of the tea in this area tastes like sugar water. Glad I have my Gold Peak sweet tea, or I would end up like that guy in the original post.

I just found out the other day... Neil Young is still alive!:D

While in Arby’s one day a young dude was making sweet tea. He used the normal tea dispenser thats in every restaurant, maybe 2 gallons. Well he dumped the fresh tea in and then opened a bad of Domino sugar ( the one about 8-9” tall), dumped the whole bag in.!! Now I only drink un sweetened but I would think that was way too much sugar! And I’m from the south.

I have six teaspoons of sugar in every cup of tea,no ill effects.but I don't eat chocolate or lollies or get sugar anywhere else

Last edited:
I'm impressed they took time to add the authenticity of an actual Knoxville area (Fountain City actually)
mom & pop - Litton's. They've been around like 70 years or such!

February 1st, 2022
View attachment 1234248

KNOXVILLE, TN—A southern man was immediately rushed to the hospital yesterday after being served unsweetened tea, believing it to be sweet tea.

The ambulance arrived at Litton’s restaurant at approximately 2:15pm after being called by another restaurant patron. The man was found completely unresponsive due to an immense shock to his senses. According to others having lunch at the time, the man seemed to be perfectly normal and healthy, until he took a small sip of his drink.

“He was just sitting there enjoying his meal, until all of a sudden he just violently collapsed onto the floor, spilling food and drink everywhere!” said Opal Maynard, a Litton’s waitress. “Next thing we know he’s convulsing on the floor and foaming out the mouth.”

The man remained in critical condition until he arrived at the University of Tennessee Medical Center where doctors noticed his dangerously low blood sugar levels. Nurses quickly administered an IV of McDonald’s sweet tea, saving his life.

At this time, Fountain City PD does not suspect any foul play led to the man being served tea without any sugar. They have requested that the restaurant update their beverage labeling and have instructed them to add an extra bag of granulated sugar to their tea per mix, just to be safe.

The individual is expected to make a full recovery and has already returned to drinking tea the proper way, so sweet you can chew it.
I think that paramedic should give the dude some mouth to mouth to revive him. That will bring him back

Auto Transport Service
Back