• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Space for 20” muffler w/TTI

HotRod777

Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that there is enough space/length on the TTI H pipe to shorten the end 6” to accommodate a 20” muffler? I plan to order the whole kit via Chicago Connection sans mufflers. The setup will be 1966 Coronet 383 using a pair of late 60’s HP manifolds. 2.5” head pipes, H pipe, and tail pipes. I’d like to use 20” ultra flo’s instead of the typical 14” mufflers.
I know the tail pipes start to bend up over the axle rather quickly so I’m planning to gain the 6” at the end of the H pipe. Will this work?
Also, I assume offset/center mufflers will work ok?
Thanks!

I've done it on my '69 r/t. tti pipes and factory mufflers. trimmed the tail end of the h-pipe.

I am about to do the same. The super turbo dynomaxes that come with TTI systems are way too quiet for my taste, i can actually hear the engine over the exhaust note. I think you (we) should have plenty of room trimming down the H-pipe at the rear.

Can anyone confirm that there is enough space/length on the TTI H pipe to shorten the end 6” to accommodate a 20” muffler? I plan to order the whole kit via Chicago Connection sans mufflers. The setup will be 1966 Coronet 383 using a pair of late 60’s HP manifolds. 2.5” head pipes, H pipe, and tail pipes. I’d like to use 20” ultra flo’s instead of the typical 14” mufflers.
I know the tail pipes start to bend up over the axle rather quickly so I’m planning to gain the 6” at the end of the H pipe. Will this work?
Also, I assume offset/center mufflers will work ok?
Thanks!

I've always used 20" body length mufflers. Don't ever actually remember trimming 6" off anything to get them to work. Maybe I did and don't remember.

The '67 TTI kit on mine was a very tight fit with the supplied 20" mufflers but they did fit. If I had to go back and do it again I would go ahead and take 1-2" off the H-pipe just to make fitment a little easier.

Works just fine. If you ask Bob at Chicago Connection, he can get you the kit with Ultra Flows instead of the Super Turbos. I have done the same thing for 3 different cars with him.

Works just fine. If you ask Bob at Chicago Connection, he can get you the kit with Ultra Flows instead of the Super Turbos. I have done the same thing for 3 different cars with him.
I bought mine from Chicago connection as well, I wish I had some clue of how the super turbo's were going to sound before I bought. Woulda done just that and saved time and $$. Oh well, maybe someone on here will want to buy my lightly used super turbos.

Update, in case it might help someone else. The TTI system is very nice, but I had figment issues. The problem was, once the head pipes were on, the ‘clocking’ of the drivers manifold was forcing the drivers side of the H pipe to be about 2” inboard by the time it was back at the bumper. This caused the drivers side tail pipe to run on a noticeable angle beside the tank. It actually was hitting the shock was well. (The H pipe was totally loose during this part) Once disconnected however, everything would settle and hang nicely, just 2” misaligned at the rear of the drivers muffler. My remedy was to swap the drivers side muffler to a offset/offset instead of an offset/center. Everything bolted up perfectly and clears everything and is perfectly aligned when viewing from the rear.

Auto Transport Service
Back