• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spade terminal Starter relay

dodge68charger

Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys i got most of the wiring almost routed. Just wondering what wire connects to the spade terminal on the starter relay. The witing diagran wasnt much help.. The car is a 1968 charger with a 4 speed transmission. Thanks image.jpg

There are two types of starter relays that I've seen. One has the battery post and a screw-down connector for the starter wire and two spade terminals, one for the wire from the ignition switch (marked I) and one for a ground wire (marked G). The other relay has an extra spade connection that is all by itself, and I have no idea what it's for. I've always used the four-connection relay for my cars.

There are two types of starter relays that I've seen. One has the battery post and a screw-down connector for the starter wire and two spade terminals, one for the wire from the ignition switch (marked I) and one for a ground wire (marked G). The other relay has an extra spade connection that is all by itself, and I have no idea what it's for. I've always used the four-connection relay for my cars.

Typically, manual transmission cars prior to clutch pedal safety switches had one of the primary terminals grounded to the starter relay case, as pictured above.

Typically, manual transmission cars prior to clutch pedal safety switches had one of the primary terminals grounded to the starter relay case, as pictured above.

Exactly. The extra terminal (G) would be where you see the bit of solder in the picture. The G terminal provides ground when the NSS is in neutral or park, allowing it to start. The one in the picture is for a manual trans, with the G terminal permanently grounded (it's soldered to the case for a permanent ground). This allows the 4speed to be started in any gear. A more modern safety feature would have the G spade connected to a clutch switch which would force you to keep the clutch engaged to start it, but that safety feature came in a bit later (I know my 82 firebird (POS)) had one.

I think im more confused now than i was before. Any simple explanation lol. I got no loose wires to plug in there. Is there a wire on the bottom harness connector or do i ground it. Thanks.

Is your car a 4 speed or automatic?
This picture was taken from the 68 Charger wiring diagram on Mymopar.com. The diagram shows a 4 post starter relay. There are two spade terminals. One to the ignition switch (start) and one to the neutral safety switch. The relay you have only has one spade terminal. That terminal is for the ignition switch (start). The ground is soldered to the case and would allow the starter to be activated via the key at any time unless you have an alternative safety switch somewhere else like a clutch pedal.
In any case the terminal shown is for the wire from the ignition switch (start). That wire is yellow from the ignition switch to the bulkhead connector. Once in the engine compartment, it is either yellow or grey as noted.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68ChargerA.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68ChargerB.JPG

st relay.JPG

You should have a really short yellow wire comin from the bulkhead connector. Plug that into that terminal.

As said before, it should be yellow ignition wire.

On 'B' diagram, find the relay, looking at the lower left terminal, it shows the yellow wire. The one your missing.

Trace that wire back, you'll see it go to the lower firewall harness block...location 'T'. Keep tracing it backwards, to the 'A' diagram, and it shows that yellow wire going to the ignition switch. Diagram 'A' is the wiring in the car, and at the dash.

Thank you so much. I thought the lower harness was only for the headlights n didnt give it a good look over. Didnt have that connector hooked up. Just the top two. Still in the box, dig it out tmrw..Thank you soo much!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back