• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare Tire Hold Down

RedBeard

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of their spare tire hold down setup? When I got my car, the stud and all the rest was missing. I do believe I have found all except the stud. YearOne and Classic have what looks like the correct one but in different lengths. Our resource books don't seem to show much about this setup. Ideas of which stud is the correct one?

Charger, Coronet and Belvedere all the same. Sounds like you need the metal cup (for lack of anything better to call it) that sits in the piece of thin plywood-like material that covers the spare tire well.
I will have to take a pic for you unless someone has one handy.
Here is the panel:
s-l225.jpg

I don't think is is correct but looks very similar to this:
001.jpg

Charger, Coronet and Belvedere all the same. Sounds like you need the metal cup (for lack of anything better to call it) that sits in the piece of thin plywood-like material that covers the spare tire well.
Here is the panel:
View attachment 849718
View attachment 849719
Yep, missing that too. But looking for the stud that holds down the tire, jack base and hook.

The board to cover spare is masonite. I can use the cup and wing nut to hold down cover tire is a little to wide. My 66 Satellite.
Spare2.jpg
Spare3.jpg

Here is the panel:
View attachment 849718
View attachment 849719
Do you know of anyone reproducing this? And does the bolt attach to something? Then I would assume thru the plate and then the wingnut to hold down the board.

The stud is 7" to & 7.125". The shorter one is for a Dart ? wing nut probably could be bought in a hardware store 3/8" you need to find a stamp one not the solid one, unless your doing a restoration an need OEM. I don't need the short stud. You could cut the threads off the short one. Then buy threaded rod and cut what you need and weld the cut end to stud with head. Refinish the weld. I'd make it 7.5" long. Don't know if bend near head is factory, it might be.
jstud1.jpg
jstud.jpg
jstud2.jpg

The stud is 7" to & 7.125". The shorter one is for a Dart ? wing nut probably could be bought in a hardware store 3/8" you need to find a stamp one not the solid one, unless your doing a restoration an need OEM. I don't need the short stud. You could cut the threads off the short one. Then buy threaded rod and cut what you need and weld the cut end to stud with head. Refinish the weld. I'd make it 7.5" long. Don't know if bend near head is factory, it might be.View attachment 850277 View attachment 850280 View attachment 850281
Does your stud extend into the cup that goes in the board?

It's suppose to, it's a little short by approximately 1/4" to 3/8". It is the original stud but never investigated why. Noticing stud has that bend didn't look to see if bracket is at an angle so if stud is not mated properly it could make stud shorter. Bracket on trunk floor could be flattened some by someone dropping a tire on it. Cross sectional width of tire a 775x14" vs latter 78 series. Can't think any thing else off hand. Might do a little investigating Wed.

It's suppose to, it's a little short by approximately 1/4" to 3/8". It is the original stud but never investigated why. Noticing stud has that bend didn't look to see if bracket is at an angle so if stud is not mated properly it could make stud shorter. Bracket on trunk floor could be flattened some by someone dropping a tire on it. Cross sectional width of tire a 775x14" vs latter 78 series. Can't think any thing else off hand. Might do a little investigating Wed.
Ok, thanks.

The studs I have measure 7 inches on the shaft. You could go to a local bolt supply place, or maybe a good hardware store and buy a long carriage bolt and cut it to length. I have one bolt with a slight bend it’s about 5.5 inches long, but it should be for something else. I do have an extra cup if you need one, it is rusty.

The studs I have measure 7 inches on the shaft. You could go to a local bolt supply place, or maybe a good hardware store and buy a long carriage bolt and cut it to length. I have one bolt with a slight bend it’s about 5.5 inches long, but it should be for something else. I do have an extra cup if you need one, it is rusty.
That is what I was thinking too. Seems like no one carries the hold down kit for 66-67, only 68 and up. Yes, I would gladly take your extra cup off your hands. How much? and PM your address. Thank you.

Did you ever find your spare tire hold down bolt?
If not I found one for you.
IMG_20191110_114018.jpg

when I took my depart I remembered that I had to go to home Depot or Lowe's and buy one of these little wing nuts for the cup. But as you can see it works fine.
IMG_20191111_154913.jpg

when I took my depart I remembered that I had to go to home Depot or Lowe's and buy one of these little wing nuts for the cup. But as you can see it works fine.View attachment 864361

when I took my depart I remembered that I had to go to home Depot or Lowe's and buy one of these little wing nuts for the cup. But as you can see it works fine.View attachment 864361
They're stamped steel if you care? Can probably find them at Ace Hardware.

Auto Transport Service
Back