• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark Plug Surprise!!!

milit73

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:02 PM
Reaction score
So finally getting the Bee brakes rebuilt so I can start driving more and then during testing thought I had an exhaust leak or something else but it was nothing good. The sound was nothing I had heard before.

Being busy with work I just ordered new gaskets thinking I will get this completed today (over a month since the issue) then Bee needed a little bit to get started and heard what sounded like pressure like leaving a spark plug out and then I find a plug with the ceramic moving in the body of the plug.

I am sure many of you have seen this in the past but a first for me!!!! I tired to upload a video but I cannot figure out how to do that.

Those are the easy fixable problems I like to have!
Especially where you can easily fix it

In all my years that's a new one - yeah nice it wasn't something more serious

38hdph.jpg

On the ice fishing show... 'Ice Vikings' one of the guys had a truck where a spark plug apparently 'shot out' of the engine - a Ford of course. The local mechanic said he'd never seen that happen before. When the young guy rings his grandfather, the old fella says..."yep, I seen that happen before" :lol:

Fishing stories....:rolleyes:

I have only had entire spark plugs blow out of a head on an outboard motor I use for crabbing BUT never a spark plug blow apart..

On the ice fishing show... 'Ice Vikings' one of the guys had a truck where a spark plug apparently 'shot out' of the engine - a Ford of course. The local mechanic said he'd never seen that happen before. When the young guy rings his grandfather, the old fella says..."yep, I seen that happen before" :lol:

Fishing stories....:rolleyes:
Yep that had that problem.

I was at a show this summer and a '56 Chevy pulled up next to me that was making a loud whoosing sound and missing badly. The owner popped the hood and found that the entire porcelain center of the plug was gone. The metal base was still in the cylinder head, but there was a hole right through the center. The spark plug wire was hanging next to the head, but the porcelain center was nowhere around.

ive seen that before,and ive also seen one where the electrode broke and fell Into the motor...blammo.
Glad that didnt happen to yours.

ive also seen them get shot out of the heads before,some right into and sticking thru the Hoods lol.
plug worked loose and then the pressure rips the remaining threads out and Now you have a problem,esp with the alum heads.

I used to have a f150 with a 5.4 in it. I had two plugs blow out at different times. They both pulled the threads out of the head. I heli-coiled both back in. After the 2nd one I traded the POS for my ram with a Cummins

Allow me to run this thread off the rails for a bit speaking of spark plugs. Buddy has an ’06 Mustang GT and he’s tried for a while to get the plugs out; they’re like in the motor DEEP set. Tried soaking the crap out of them for a few days, then a heat-tube device to heat those suckers up and plugs are still in there. He’s a cheap sort and so far has avoided taking it in to have it done.

And about a year ago he was going to check his trans fluid…nope NO dipstick. Closed system where a shop quoted him $130 just to check it. Requires a special procedure and at a certain engine temp. I googled it to see what this involves. He bought this car around 5 years ago with 80K on it and now has 100k storing it winters. His last chat with me – he found some serious-serious rot. Well this car spent winters on the WI roads before he bought it..

Auto Transport Service
Back