• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark Plug Surprise!!!

I have used a 3/8 impact on those plugs. Sometimes it works
He's fearing rounding out the plugs or stripping them - meanwhile - lol - there they stay likely never been out in 16 years coming off the assembly line. Good buddy since grade school; but next time he brings it up as he's done a dozen times I'm tempted to apply an old phrase "**** or get off the pot".

Those ford overhead cam motors are bad with carboned in plugs. The key is to pull them around 50k miles and do a good anti-seize job. Tons of links on the web this subject. If you wait until it starts missing or 100k plus, god help you. Expect to heli-coil at least a few.

Last edited:
I agree totally with applying anti-seize.
Seems that I've read that some manufacturers(Toyota, Honda ???) state not to use anti-seize....
Any comments pros/cons out there?

Those ford overhead cam motors are bad with carboned in plugs. The key is to pull them around 50k miles and do a good anti-seize job. Tons of links on the web this subject. If you wait until it starts missing or 100k plus, god help you. Expect to help-coil at least a few.
speaking of fords,those triton motors also had the Smallest exhaust bolts ever,made out of tinfoil too.
whatever metals they used in making them,the purity must have been really crappy.
ive seen perfect body trucks that sound like clunkers and got junked simply because the bolts rusted/broke right off/usually flush in the block! and then its a Major pita to fix.
no clue how many ive scrapped because of that,but it was a Lot.
the 94 up dodges were the same too,but not quite as bad,those the heads of the bolts would rust right off and then you cant get a socket to work on them.

I agree totally with applying anti-seize.
Seems that I've read that some manufacturers(Toyota, Honda ???) state not to use anti-seize....
Any comments pros/cons out there?
I've used anti-seize for 50 years and I don't give a $h!t about Toyota or Honda.

Back in the day we had a Jimmy Dean delivery truck stop by the garage with a plug missing. It was a Ford truck. The one mechanic got a new plug and installed it. The driver didn't carry cash so he payed with sausage.

About every three to four months he would stop by with the same problem. Replaced the missing plug and he'd pay with sausage. (The boss would divide it up between us) Then the mechanic got a bright idea and used some loctite on the threads. I heard about what he did and I told him off. "We'll never get any free sausage now you dummy!" The loctite must have worked because we never saw him again.

I use anti-seize on the two 5.7 hemis here (aluminum heads).
Never have used it on any of the old iron headed beasts, but it surely couldn't hurt.

Seen that a few times with A/C Delco plugs. Called them Rattlers .

That's funny, when I read the first post I immediately thought it must be Champion plugs, then I scrolled down a bit for pics and... yep Champion plugs.

It seems once a brand name gets a good reputation, they can cheapen their product and raise their prices at the same time. And people will continue to buy it for decades due to the name that was once great.

Last edited:
^^^^ Agree 100 percent, i thought the same thing as i had this happen in my boat with Champion plugs. It blew the center out of the plug and was still connected to the plug wire that had caught on fire laying down in the bilge, not too cool on a boat.

The driver didn't carry cash so he payed with sausage.

that-sounds-gay.jpg

Back in the day, I once had a plug where the ceramic got loose from the metal. It would rotate a bit. Didn't blow out. Bad glue? Yes, it was a Champion. For other reasons I started trying other plugs. I had very good luck with an Autolite that held up well and then NGK's that did well.

Back in the day, I once had a plug where the ceramic got loose from the metal. It would rotate a bit. Didn't blow out. Bad glue? Yes, it was a Champion. For other reasons I started trying other plugs. I had very good luck with an Autolite that held up well and then NGK's that did well.
I've seen several Autolite plugs right out of the box that didn't fire.
Ask @Skytrooper about his car it was unbelievable like 3 out of 8.
Now it's possible they were dropped at the parts store but I won't buy or install any Autolite plugs.

I don't know that I've ever had a spark plug disassemble itself once in service in an engine.
I've busted one or two wrestling with them and my less than stellar tools and techniques, sure...:rolleyes:
The exact Champions the factory put into the '12 Charger R/T and my '04 Ram hemis are what I
still use, no issues.
With the GTX, it gets a fresh set of original , new J11Y Champions every spring. I pay the price
and just do it, knowing those are better built than anything I can find now.
I hunt down the best deal on a new, vintage set of them on eBay and away we go...:thumbsup:

I don't know that I've ever had a spark plug disassemble itself once in service in an engine.
I've busted one or two wrestling with them and my less than stellar tools and techniques, sure...:rolleyes:
The exact Champions the factory put into the '12 Charger R/T and my '04 Ram hemis are what I
still use, no issues.
With the GTX, it gets a fresh set of original , new J11Y Champions every spring. I pay the price
and just do it, knowing those are better built than anything I can find now.
I hunt down the best deal on a new, vintage set of them on eBay and away we go...:thumbsup:
Ed you really don't need new plugs every year unless you just enjoy changing plugs.
I've had these in for probably 8 years or more:
_L3kZ7oROEcGwRN6gMCpkToQUQfIUutP2BV3g6hRt9cYIoJEqf1ocw1OH69cUg0eM4nOghg=w1204-h903-no?authuser=0.jpg

Not all Anti-Seize is created equal... The reason Honda/Toyota say not to use it is it can effect the quality of the actual spark.... Copper Anti-Seize is accepted by both manufacturers.....

https://www.grainger.com/product/2V...WYZB-nNxGlQwr8pzsNRoC98EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And back in the 80s I got talked into putting plugs in a Caddilac, girl had bought Bosch Platinums... Car would not start.... I knew I must have done something wrong, rather than change the plugs a second time I ran all sorts of tests.... Couldn't get it going... Eventually screwed the old plugs back in & it fired right up...... So much for an easy job & scoring a few points with the hot girl.....

Haven't used Bosch plugs in anything before or since..

Oh, and yes I've seen a few loose insulators before... Always Champion...

Permatex-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-8-OZ-80078-1.jpg

Yeah copper, aluminum, all sorts of herbs and spices. The plugs get some - you get some - your clothes
get some - everything you touch for the rest of the day gets some...:lol:

Not all Anti-Seize is created equal... The reason Honda/Toyota say not to use it is it can effect the quality of the actual spark.... Copper Anti-Seize is accepted by both manufacturers.....

https://www.grainger.com/product/2V...WYZB-nNxGlQwr8pzsNRoC98EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And back in the 80s I got talked into putting plugs in a Caddilac, girl had bought Bosch Platinums... Car would not start.... I knew I must have done something wrong, rather than change the plugs a second time I ran all sorts of tests.... Couldn't get it going... Eventually screwed the old plugs back in & it fired right up...... So much for an easy job & scoring a few points with the hot girl.....

Stopped using Champs back in the 80s when they seemed to go to junk, shorting out
Used Ngk for a long time, never had any problems. Used Champs again in 2015 when I got this present mopar and no problems so far.

I put some Bosch I got on clearance in a F-150. Only lasted 20,000 miles before one of them started misfiring.

Auto Transport Service
Back