• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

speaker size for 73 road runner

73roadchicken

Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
hey guys does anyone know the correct speaker size for the dash and back tray speakers on a 73 roadrunner?

Rear is probably a 6X9. The front? Well, through 70 they used a 4X10". Yours might be the same

im wondering if i should either keep my original radio or switch to a din radio. i wouldn't remove the original radio but i would just try to find a under dash kit.

There's a really cool (but not exactly cheap) system called SecretAudio (I think it is) It has a display that you can mount, has an RF remote (so you don't have to mount the display) and the whole thing mounts out of sight. I've installed a couple of these and they're great. You can do just a radio, or there is also a CD changer available for the system as well.

go here: http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/secret.html

There's a really cool (but not exactly cheap) system called SecretAudio (I think it is) It has a display that you can mount, has an RF remote (so you don't have to mount the display) and the whole thing mounts out of sight. I've installed a couple of these and they're great. You can do just a radio, or there is also a CD changer available for the system as well.

go here: http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/secret.html

whats something like that cost? i didnt see a price and im getting tired of am

Yanno...its been over a year since I bought one and I really don't remember. I think the radio part is maybe $250? I remember the CD changer was as much as the radio.

As far as an install goes, I mounted the unit under the front seat (radio on passenger's side) and ran the cables under the carpet. Then if I was gonna add the changer it would go under the driver's seat so it was easy for them to get to.

I replaced the missing front speaker on my 70 with a pair of good modern 3 1/2" round speakers. I now have "stereo" in front and better sound than a single paper cone 4x10. I did it a while ago, think I was able to use the original studs for the factory speaker with fat washers under the nuts to mount the new speakers. No cutting involved!

just talking about origonal radios i live in mid missouri and at nite i get wsm 650 am im sure some of you know what that station is famous for

It would cost less to go on ebay and buy a factory am/fm w/ cassette player and put a cd polayer in the glove box. In fact there is a glove box liner on ebay right now that alredy has the cd cut out in it. You could save yours for future.

Auto Transport Service
Back