• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speakers

JR_Charger

Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a system to my original lo-fi, AM radio, one center dash speaker only car. I found an "interesting situation" going on in the rear deck - the speaker holes are different sizes. What is the correct way to deal with this that does not involve cutting or drilling? Do modern speaker sizes fit? Am I going to have to buy two different sets of speakers? I guess I'll have spares LOL.

Last edited:
What kind of car is it? My '68 has the same size openings for 6 x 9 speakers, but one is cross ways and one is long ways.

Back in the day, we installed 6x9 Jensen speakers under the rear shelf. (Which is exactly what I have in my RR today. )

Attach your preferred speaker to a thin piece of wood, with the correct size cutout. Fabricate brackets to enable attachment to any existing holes in the shelf, to avoid cutting or drilling.

Some have a 5x8 hole for the rear defroster.

Some have a 5x8 hole for the rear defroster.

I've got sort of a mail-slot shape in the center of the package tray that I assume is for the defroster.

The motor blower has a plate that mounts in the 5x8 hole.

I don't know why, but the driver's side is 5x7 and the passenger is 6x9. I think a lot of people just use 2 6x9's. There are websites that sell one of each size. I was just on Classic Industries and they sell one 5x7. Do a search and different sites will pop up. If you are going to a modern stereo be sure to get modern 4-ohm speakers. Places do sell 8-ohm speakers to match up with original radios.

The motor blower has a plate that mounts in the 5x8 hole.

Now that you mention it, I think I've seen that. So you get a choice of rear defrost or two rear speakers? I guess that was acceptable for the time.

Auto Transport Service
Back