• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speed Sensor on 5.7 with Nag1?

Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to decide if i should use OEM LX gauges on my project.
And it all kind of hinges on how the speedo works?

So my question to you is; are the speed sensor part of the TCM? OR is it part of the wheel sensors in the knuckles of LX cars?

Because i have the TCM, PCM, and FCM. and all the wiring in between.
If i plug in the gauges will they work?

I don't know on the NAG1 but on the 545rfe setup they use a speed sensor right in the diff of the rear axle. Might be able to run a 9.25 rear end and use the speed sensor. I have thought about this swap myself because the whole axle with a posi would be cheaper then a 742/489 case with posi but the width i would want would be from a durango with a 6 lug flange...so I have yet to check on availability of 5 lug axle shafts.

the tcm will use the wheel sensors to determine the speed. An idea I was thinking of was to take the speedo motors out of the circuit board and install them in my 63 plymouth's factory guage cluster with wires connecting to the board.

kb the speed sensors in the 545rfe are in the transmission.

Go with a gps type speedo or contact hotwireauto or bouchillonperformance, they may be able ya. And also, the 545rfe has 2 speed sensors, both on the drivers side, front is input speed and the rear is out put.

Nag1 trans get it speed from the wheel sensors, I think the front ones but don't quote me.

Go with a gps type speedo or contact hotwireauto or bouchillonperformance, they may be able ya. And also, the 545rfe has 2 speed sensors, both on the drivers side, front is input speed and the rear is out put.

Nag1 trans get it speed from the wheel sensors, I think the front ones but don't quote me.
How well do the gps speedo's work? my only experience with gps is with my garmin an that would lose signal all the time in downtown edmonton when I was there last.

The newer ones only lose the signal when going under a long bridge or tunnel, and see a signal 10 times per second.

the tcm will use the wheel sensors to determine the speed. An idea I was thinking of was to take the speedo motors out of the circuit board and install them in my 63 plymouth's factory guage cluster with wires connecting to the board.

kb the speed sensors in the 545rfe are in the transmission.

The 545 has 2 speed sensors in the trans which the computer uses for shifting etc. The actual speedometer uses only the rear diff speed sensor. This I know because when the sensor broke and fell into my rear end the speedo stopped working and the brake warning light came on. Replaced and it worked again (after extensively cleaning out my diff)

KB, I am running the 545 and Chris at hotwire said my harness will have a speedo wire and I will be running a standard 8 3/4, It may be the stock gauges are wired that way so the speedo runs off the axle.

The out put wire on the trans is what sends the signal to the speedo????? Isn't the sensor on the diff for the abs??? I'm pretty sure this how the trucks are, as compared to the lx cars using the nag1 with wheel sensors. Maybe that why the brake warning light came on??

If the diff was sending out the signal for speed, then every swap would need a tone ring of some kind on the rear and that would stop alot of the swaps dead in their tracks.

I can't speak for how the swaps use the trans but I know positively that the rear end sensor is what provided my truck with its vehicle speed. The transmission speed sensors to my understanding are there to give the computer input on what is happening inside the transmission.

the rear end sensor also controls the rear abs system, yes that is correct.

I know for a fact the rear sensor controls the speedometer because in a separate incident i had something come up and damage the connector and I was able to make the speedometer work or not work based on what i did with the connector.

This however was on a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 with the 545-rfe.

Now before i get push back, yes it was listed as a 45-rfe. It is however the same transmission, I used a 2003 transmission controller from a jeep grand cherokee to provide me with 5th gear. This also works for the 2002 Rams with the 4.7.

(I no longer have the truck and would sell the TCM if anybody is interested)

Not doubting ya, just saying the swaps use the signal from the trans (545rfe).

So it sounds like i need to install wheel speed sensors to make it work properly. That may take some work, but i'm dedicated in making this nag1 work!
Has anyone on this forum used this trans for this swap? Or anyone at all for that mater? Everyone seems to use the truck trans are just the old 727.

So it sounds like i need to install wheel speed sensors to make it work properly. That may take some work, but i'm dedicated in making this nag1 work!
Has anyone on this forum used this trans for this swap? Or anyone at all for that mater? Everyone seems to use the truck trans are just the old 727.
66 you and me both are working towards this. I have looked at the factory wiring diagram at work. I should send you a copy of the transmission controller. what all do you have? I havn't started any actual install on my 63 yet as I don't have the car here at home. What I'm looking at doing is installing the factory irs in my 63.

are you trying to install with factory computers? if not look up the twisted fish cuda on cuda-challenger.com there is a company pcs? that sells a controller for the military version of the NAG1(basically identical)

KB there are 3 sensors in the 545rfe two on the left and one on the very back of the right side.

66 you and me both are working towards this. I have looked at the factory wiring diagram at work. I should send you a copy of the transmission controller. what all do you have? I havn't started any actual install on my 63 yet as I don't have the car here at home. What I'm looking at doing is installing the factory irs in my 63.

are you trying to install with factory computers? if not look up the twisted fish cuda on cuda-challenger.com there is a company pcs? that sells a controller for the military version of the NAG1(basically identical)

KB there are 3 sensors in the 545rfe two on the left and one on the very back of the right side.

Yeah I couldn't remember 2 or 3 but truthfully irrellevant. Anyway a factory wiring diagram should answer that question as you stated.

are you trying to install with factory computers? if not look up the twisted fish cuda on cuda-challenger.com there is a company pcs? that sells a controller for the military version of the NAG1(basically identical)[end quote]

I have a 5.7 and nag1 out of a 05 300c have complete engine harness with computer, fuse box with the attached FCM (front control module)
Still need trans computer.

I was thinking if I had ALL the electronics from a LX it would be plugin and go. So im thinking about getting the gauges from a LX and rear wheel sensors and replicating the rear sensor arrangement in the drums on my 8 3/4 or something like that.

My dad and I are also working on a 1970 charger that has a complete drivetrain from a 03 viper and its about ready for paint. So im not afraid of a little fab work, but i would like this car to be on the road in a couple months so i not going to try anything crazy like my dad with irs, that took us a month alone in the charger.

O yeah and i forgot to mention i HATE electrical crap! So im not sure why im doing this swap! I gusss i like the idea of 400 hp and 20+ mpg because this will be my daily driver.So any help with the geeky stuff would be greatly appreciated because I'm computer retarded.

I am also going to put the rack and pinion out of a LX and heater core-A/C. I'll post pics next week when i mount it up.

are you trying to install with factory computers? if not look up the twisted fish cuda on cuda-challenger.com there is a company pcs? that sells a controller for the military version of the NAG1(basically identical)[end quote]

I have a 5.7 and nag1 out of a 05 300c have complete engine harness with computer, fuse box with the attached FCM (front control module)
Still need trans computer.

I was thinking if I had ALL the electronics from a LX it would be plugin and go. So im thinking about getting the gauges from a LX and rear wheel sensors and replicating the rear sensor arrangement in the drums on my 8 3/4 or something like that.

My dad and I are also working on a 1970 charger that has a complete drivetrain from a 03 viper and its about ready for paint. So im not afraid of a little fab work, but i would like this car to be on the road in a couple months so i not going to try anything crazy like my dad with irs, that took us a month alone in the charger.

Sounds like you guys have some pretty cool projects over there. I think with a manual and wiring diagrams it shouldn't be that terrible. I am assuming you will have to use those speed sensors as you mentioned. The LX gauges should work for you since they get their input from the computer. Good luck but unfortunately with the NAG1 I won't be of much help since I haven't any experience with that trans. I myself am going to modify a wiring harness to run my 5.7 but i am using a 5 speed stick.

O yeah and i forgot to mention i HATE electrical crap! So im not sure why im doing this swap! I gusss i like the idea of 400 hp and 20+ mpg because this will be my daily driver.So any help with the geeky stuff would be greatly appreciated because I'm computer retarded.

I am also going to put the rack and pinion out of a LX and heater core-A/C. I'll post pics next week when i mount it up.

Well biggest thing will be getting the sensors to fool the factory tack into thinking your wheels are turning like a factory lx which is why I suggested the IRS because they will need to be identical. Hubs and sensors are available new and I'm going to adapt them to use the factory 63 bearings(or the lx bearing whichever works better) and install the sensors in the factory spindles.

I gotta give it to you guys putting the nag1 in, you've "got the biggest balls of all"...ac/dc.

Adding to this a little late, but I have a stand alone nag 1 solution. Picks up speed off magnets installed into an aluminum ring on the driveshaft

Auto Transport Service
Back