• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedcooling ECP radiator

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
Received my 26 inch speedcooling ECP radiator tonight. Looks nice, but fitment will take some work. The battery tray is hitting the shroud flange, and the passenger side flange is hitting the lip of the inner sheetmetal.

Also, the mopar stock shroud has no holes to align. I'll have to drill all 5 holes.

I expected a bit less work to make this fit. Hopefully it will work out.

My champion radiator took A BUNCH of modification to get it to fit, but it cools decent...same deal as what you have or similar

I'll try to get pics tomorrow, or Friday morning. By eyeballing it, I need to take about 1/8 off each side of the flange.

Any tips on drilling for the mopar stock shroud?

Comp the shroud to the flange, mark your holes, remove shroud, drill holes. But ya gotta decide what size bolts, machine screws and drill the size accordingly.

Had the same problem. Wtf i said. I took my old radiator and traced it out on the box the rad came in then laid the new rad on it and made the adjustments

Unfortunately I am not replacing the stock radiator. Previous radiator is a champion and it has no shroud flange. Bottom left in photo needs 1/8 inch removed from the flange. I loosened the battery tray and will make that adjustment once I can get it somewhat mounted.

20180207_190408.jpg

After conversations with fellow motorheads at work it seems ALL replacement aluminum radiators are made for electric fan shrouds. In so many words that is what champion told me when I inquired about shrouds.

After conversations with fellow motorheads at work it seems ALL replacement aluminum radiators are made for electric fan shrouds. In so many words that is what champion told me when I inquired about shrouds.

Nope. The one I have in my X is a direct bolt up for stock radiator shroud. I did have to enlarge the holes to get the clip nuts to seat but it was a direct fit. It works fine in SW AZ too.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/1966-1972-MO...TOR-ROAD-RUNNER-CHALLENGER-CUDA-/351583436713

If you are putting a speedcooling radiator in a 68 road runner here are the modifications. I cut only what was necessary and there is a 1/64 inch clearance in fitment. Wish I had spoken with threewood before I ordered a radiator.

20180208_201627.jpg 20180208_201621.jpg

That doesn't look bad at all. Are you leaving it natural aluminum?

Received my 26 inch speedcooling ECP radiator tonight. Looks nice, but fitment will take some work. The battery tray is hitting the shroud flange, and the passenger side flange is hitting the lip of the inner sheetmetal.

Also, the mopar stock shroud has no holes to align. I'll have to drill all 5 holes.

I expected a bit less work to make this fit. Hopefully it will work out.
That poses absolutely no problem to me. No battery under the hood and I'd rather have material to trim away as opposed to not having enough of a flange to attach anything to.

Well it's close to completion. I can turn a wrench. Just not a fabrication kind of guy. This was more work than necessary if I could get a plug and play radiator. I must have put this radiator in and out 67 times getting everything to fit.

20180209_154014.jpg 20180209_154005.jpg 20180209_153955.jpg

It looks good in there. How much clearance between the fan clutch and the tubes/fins of the radiator? What is the diameter of the fan?

Little less than 1.5 inches clutch to fins. Fan is a little larger than 17.5 inches.

I don't recall reading about the maximum gap one should have from the fan blades to the shroud. Obviously you don't want any contact but too small of a fan would have wide gaps and be inefficient. I have a pile of fans here, different sizes and blade counts. The factory A/C and HD cooling used a 7 blade but I don't recall anyone mentioning the fan diameter.

Nice work! I have the same radiator here waiting for the shroud and paint. If it works out well, I’ll probably order another.

Auto Transport Service
Back