• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer cable routing

pnora

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting my 69 Charger back together and need some help on speedometer routing and hold downs. My left drivers floor pan was replaced. Was there some type of attachment that held it to the floor. Also how was it routed by the inner fender and how was it held in place. Any pictures would be great. Thanks.

Hi Pnora, I do not know how to copy the link, but I wrassssslllled the speedo cable in my 66 Coronet for some time. There is a String with helpful pics in Engine/Trans on April 26. It was started by me. So, if you go there, you might find what you want assuming a 66 and a 69 are somewhat alike. Let me see if I can find a pic of that clip under the Drivers Side floor pan as well. Best, B.

Lets see if I can do this correctly. Here are some pics from my Trans to the Fire Wall. This is a 4 Spd car and it is a 66, so take that into account.

IMG_4344.jpg
IMG_4346.jpg
IMG_4347.jpg

First pic is from the side of Trans over the Exhaust and into that small clip headed to the engine compartment. The second pic is of that Clip, with speedo cable in it, that is right by where the Accelerator pedal attaches to the Floor Pans. Third shows the cable going into the engine compartment on the Engine Side of the Z Bar and headed up to enter the cabin behind the dash. Let me know if you need something else. Best, B.

Here is a pic of the Speedo Cable Clip under the drivers side Pan, just next to the Accelerator bolts from before the car was taken apart. In this pic, it is from the engine bay looking back. The cable is right next to the Torsion Bar. Best, B.

IMG_1612.jpeg

Great. I am missing the one on the floor pan so I will scrounge one up. Is there a clip on the inner fender that holds the cable?

Not on mine. It wanders up by the Brake Booster without help on the outside of the Clutch Z Bar. Best, B.

Here is the Engine Side from before the car was taken apart., if I can get the pic to transfer. That is it just under the Steering linkage and then up under the Brake Booster. On my 66, the speedo cable enters just behind and below the Brake Booster. Best, B.

IMG_1558.jpeg

Thanks. For some reason I think 69 has some sort of inner fender retainer that secures the cable. I took a lot of pictures but I have missed some little details.

You need to spend a few nights browsing the restoration section pnora and it would make your life a lot easier, while speeding up your reassembly at the same time.
beerestoration2017 1490.JPG

There is also a clip that pushes onto the top of the frame rail to secure the cable.

Thanks that answers my questions. I have a lot of pics but not everything. I appreciate the help and I do look as much as I can. Whats funny is when I look I do not always find. When I am playing around and browsing other builds or topics bang there is a small detail I was looking for. Sometimes I just give in and ask. Believe me I like to be a self solver and asking is my last resort. Thanks again greatly appreciated.

There is also a clip that pushes onto the top of the frame rail to secure the cable.. Hmmm Any pics?

You ARE the man Wayne. Fastest picture poster in the north :drinks:.

Thanks for all the help that should fix me up.

You need to spend a few nights browsing the restoration section pnora and it would make your life a lot easier, while speeding up your reassembly at the same time.
View attachment 946645
Wayne on post #3 above there is a butterfly type attachment on the floor pan. Is that correct for a 69? Thanks.

Wayne on post #3 above there is a butterfly type attachment on the floor pan. Is that correct for a 69? Thanks.
The clip on the floor beside the gas pedal nuts?? YES.. Somewhere I have a picture with dimensions as to exact location.. but can'd find it. I know there's one in Justin's pinned GTX restoration thread somewhere..

Shot I stole from Pro-streeter's thread. Shows nicely where the clip sits between pan rolls.
speedometercableclip.jpeg

Thanks I looked for like a 1/2 hour on different cars including yours [nice by the way] with no luck. Of course once you start looking you look and read on everything else but what you should be looking for. Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back