• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer cable woahs

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
So I got a new speedo cable from Joe Suchy for my 65 Belvedere wagon. Got it all together and took it for a test drive. Speedo still doesn't work. Has anyone tried using a drill on the tranny side to turn the cable? I heard of this trick many years ago to see if the speedometer is working.

I had speedo cable problems until I had Redline build me a steel cored heavy duty cable.... Never a problem since in almost 20 years

Has anyone tried using a drill on the tranny side to turn the cable? I heard of this trick many years ago to see if the speedometer is working.[/QUOTE said:
Yes I’ve used a drill to confirm the speedo is working. Proved my speedo.

Thanks I'll have to try the drill.

I had the same issue. Changed the cable to a new one that Joe Suchy supplied and it twisted at the speedometer end. In talking to Joe he suggested that the speedometer head might be frozen up and that the speedometer might be the issue. I removed the new cable and the speedometer end was twisted. Luckily I had a spare speedometer that was good and a generic speedometer cable repair kit. I shortened the cable and swedged the square adapter on it and it worked. I’d have to look but I have a NOS replacement inner cable tucked away if you still have your stock cable. My car had a C-body cable in so I wasn’t able to use it. I’m now also using a late model transmission which uses a cable from a 67 which is about $12 from AutoZone.

Auto Transport Service
Back