• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer cable

paul1969cars

Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi

I bought two aftermarket speedometer cables for two 1969 b body cars

Both cables came from different vendors

At first glance they look the same

The metal wire at center when comparing the two Cables are different in length. One is about 1/4” longer

I put the longer one in car the the cable barely snaps onto the cluster. I assume the longer inner metal cable is an issue. I got it on but there is clicking noice in cluster and speedo jumps en driving.

I replace it with another cable that is 1/4” shorter and cable snaps onto cluster nicely. But speed is still a little jumpy and not smooth

Could it be that both cables are too long and they are causing this issue

Can you grind down or cut a little more of the steel inner cable to possibly make it work better. Don’t know

As a test. I left both cables on the cluster and removed the tranny end of cables I put my drill onto cables
And if you push the metal cable in. You hear clicking in cluster and jumpy cable. And if you pull out the metal cable with drill going. It’s smooth and works

I assume the metal cable is too long. Am I correct. Or is there a deeper receiving gear in tranny that I can swap out so cable is not so long.

I do t have my original cables to compare them to this. So just need some advice.

I had very similar problems. Different cables, different vendors. One worked for a few months and then started binding. I spent the last holidays getting speedo rebuilt and put in new dash pads. Did not want to take out speedo again. So hooked cable up to drill in reverse and speedo worked perfectly. So something else was causing the binding issue. I then stumbled on a GPS conversion for mechanical speedos. Worked amazing! Does not really get going until about 10 mph, but oh well. Not cheap but very cool toy.

The Easiest Speedometer Conversion: SPEEDBOX™ | GPS, Transmission | SPEEDHUT®

It's tough with reproduction parts. Sometimes that's the only way to go. I always try to find original NOS parts when I can.

Auto Transport Service
Back