• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring Shackles

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
I want to bring the rear up just a whisker. I was thinking of going old school and just toss on a pair of Hotchkiss spring shackles. I know the best route would be new or competition springs, but need to use the money on other items. So, for this year it's shackles or nothing.
Whattya think ?

1971 440 Charger R/T

Last edited:
Extended shackles=degraded handling.
How about air shocks/helper spring shocks?
Add a second #2 spring leaf.
Mike

I added a second spring to my 72 Charger, as 493 Mike said, and it handled great.
Picked up a couple from the junk yard and cut them to length. The second one from
bottom is the one I added.

I think it would be fine. Too bad I scrapped the rear shackles from the Plymouth.
My son could easily have modified them...

Extended shackles=degraded handling.
How about air shocks/helper spring shocks?
Add a second #2 spring leaf.
Mike

Or just crank the front end down some. It will still mess with alignment & stuff. Good Luck

The Hotchkis shackles aren't long enough to cause any handling issues. I think they are only about 3/8 of an inch longer than stock. Try them and see what you think.

Small 'adjustments' usually won't affect things....at least not enough to notice unless you are really tuned in with your car. Even lowering the front end a small amount won't affect things enough to have to realign it. I like to add more negative camber and positive caster to my cars anyways and lowering the front end generally adds positive camber. Anyways, I've never been a fan of longer shackles and would use air shocks before doing that and using them to raise the car 1/2" to 1" isn't going to hurt the top shock mount. If it does, it wasn't in good shape to start with.

Auto Transport Service
Back