• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring Start-Up!

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
It's that time of year when a lot of us are getting our rides out of mothballs and are getting ready for another year of cruising.

Different folks have their own rituals on firing your ride up after a long winter. Here's mine.

In the video, I have already checked the fluid levels and I'm hooking up my battery. (Take note that I'm useing a 34 series Exide and the only time I've ever had a charger on it was during a compression test.)

I'm removing the radiator cap to check and watch the coolant level. Once started I want to watch for the thermostat to open and see the coolant circulating. This can be a good time for the thermostat to stick after a long period of time sitting idle.

I'll crank the engine watching for the oil pressure guage to move just a bit. Not touching the gas pedal or applying the choke, I'm pretty much guaranteed it won't fire up. This also gives the fuel pump time to fill the carburetor. Once I see oil pressure then I'll give it a couple of pumps on the accelerator and pull the choke. Once it fires I'll keep it from revving up. Just enough idle to keep it going for awhile. I'll back it out of the garage and let it get up to operating temperature making sure the thermostat opens. Check things over for any problems like leaks ect. then take it out for a good drive.

In the vid you can hear there's a collapsed lifter while cranking. This happens when a lifter or two have sat for awhile and have bled down. This is one reason why I don't like to have it rev up too quickly when it first fires off.

Very nice Kid!!
One question though, who's the old dude helping you?

:lol:

Don't crank the starter continually,no more than
10to 15seconds at a time.
Starter gets hot and shortens it's life

Don't crank the starter continually,no more than
10to 15seconds at a time.
Starter gets hot and shortens it's life

I'll say one thing, that Dakota mini starter is nice! Doing a compression test has to be one of the hardest things on a starter. It was barely warm after completing it.

Very nice Kid!!
One question though, who's the old dude helping you?

:lol:

I think that was my neighbor :rolleyes:

I know we all have our rituals. I pull the coil wire crank it 15-20 seconds. The mini starter handles things like a champ. Check to make sure no obvious leaks. Pump her up a time or two. Wait a minute then choke and shazzaam!

i idle mine, for 30/60 minutes, every 3 - 4 weeks or so.
just fired her off today.

Lucky I can drive mine year round weather permitting. Been a fairly mild one with only 1 week with snow. Counting My blessings.

Auto Transport Service
Back