• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sps rod bolts

Charged440

Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
The now former dictatorship of Madiganistan
Hello, does anybody have the torque or stretch specs for sps rod bolts for stock 440 rods? The best thing I could find was some old Mr Gasket instructions but there was more than one spec for 3/8 bolts and the part numbers given don't exist anywhere. Thanks.

ARP usually has a part number on their bolts, but idk...

Try to go here, and contact their support for engines: http://spstech.com/home/

Other than that, and ARP 3/8" fastener for a 440 is 50 ft/lb or 0.006"-0.0065" stretch. This by no means what SPS specs are, but merely a comparison.

direct connection no longer has the sps bolts?
they are an excellent value
nothing else is any better for stock rods

Mopar Performance Bolts are SPS usually said the torque on the package- check the engine books or contact a dealer like Mancini
I don't remember off the top of my head but I have several sets and can check next week
my comment above meant the the bolts go from stock being slightly weaker than the rods to the SPS being better than the rods
The forged rods are good- I have never broken a side ground, magged, detailed then shot peened stock rod with the SPS bolts even with the heavy stock pistons
something else has always broken first- like the bad old valve springs (detailing involves rounding off any stress risers)

Thanks, I tried contacting sps before and they couldn't tell me anything bc apparently they are not in the automotive business anymore, idk, I'm waiting to hear back from the person on the engine contact page now. I called 440 source they recommended to contact Carillo but the two guys that might know something weren't there so I have to try again Monday. These bolts were on the rods when I got them so I don't know the history and the shop that worked on it did everything else you could imagine But the rod bolts, it was long enough ago that the guy has no idea what to tell me. The real shame is that everything is already balanced with new pistons and I'm guessing that would all be thrown off from the resize. Would any of you even use these at this point? Regardless if I can get the specs or not?

Mopar Performance Bolts are SPS usually said the torque on the package- check the engine books or contact a dealer like Mancini
I don't remember off the top of my head but I have several sets and can check next week
my comment above meant the the bolts go from stock being slightly weaker than the rods to the SPS being better than the rods
The forged rods are good- I have never broken a side ground, magged, detailed then shot peened stock rod with the SPS bolts even with the heavy stock pistons
something else has always broken first- like the bad old valve springs (detailing involves rounding off any stress risers)

Thanks, Ill try Mancini too. If you could check the sets you have to see what they say it would be greatly appreciated bc who knows how much help I will get elsewhere

Are you sure those are SPS bolt sets.
P4120068 3/8" diameter, high strength steel bolt and nut for use with Stock Forgings. 1995 price 47.25

P4120082 1/2" diameter, SPS type, for all NASCAR Forgings

Mopar Preformace 1995-1998
By 1999 they had even dropped the 1/2" SPS bolts
And why take a chance with bolts of unknown origin?

Are you sure those are SPS bolt sets.
P4120068 3/8" diameter, high strength steel bolt and nut for use with Stock Forgings. 1995 price 47.25

P4120082 1/2" diameter, SPS type, for all NASCAR Forgings

Mopar Preformace 1995-1998
By 1999 they had even dropped the 1/2" SPS bolts
And why take a chance with bolts of unknown origin?

Yes, the bolt head is stamped sps. I agree in not taking chances, until now I was under the assumption that they were new in 2003 when the motor was last worked on, and since the parts were stored unused since then I figured I'd get the spec and move on. Finding all of this out makes it more likely I will just replace them, unless there is some way of positively checking them. I talked to the shop and they claim to have never used sps products ever, fantastic.

Auto Transport Service
Back