• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

squareback 2 wire alternator

moparjohnny

Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
do i need to add a ground wire to back of this unit if i am using a electronic voltage regulator,i think that is the case with a old point style regulator not sure which. thanks

Are you using the newer style regulator or the old type for the single field alternator? In the old single field alternator, the spot where the second field wire would be is internally grounded inside the case. On the two fielded alternator, one field wire goes to the green wire side on the regulator and the other goes to the blue wire side of the regulator. Doesn't matter which goes to which one but one is field and other is hot on ignition side. The regulator case itself needs to be grounded well to the firewall I know.

Last edited:
I'm using a square back alt. for more output but I still have the original wiring but I think the regulator is not points. I also have the second field connector grounded to the V/C bolt. Lights are bright and works well.

Auto Transport Service
Back