• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Squealing Noise and Oil to the Rockers

Franks500

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Picked up a 67 Coronet 500 383 in May. Drove around 40 miles and the car spun a rod bearing. Had entire engine rebuilt - replaced crank, pistons, bored .030 over, larger exhaust valves and so on. Got the car back together around two weeks ago - lots of minor issues to address but ran great - good oil pressure for about 200 miles.
Took the car to work yesterday - around 60 miles round trip, noticed what sounded like a fan belt squeak on the way home. Removed fan and power steering belt, squeak remained.
Did some research and checked the starter bolts and flex plate bolts - all fine.
Started the car - all fine until completely warmed up, squeal is back.
First thing I dd was remove the valve covers and noticed the inside of the cover was completely dry. Started the car - expected a mess but only saw oil on the exhaust and intake closest to the firewall - both sides.
Removed rocker arms from both sides- don't have a priming tool so cranked engine with the starter. Not sure but it looks like oil should be supplied from two passages on each head. Only had oil squirting from the passage closest to the firewall on each side.
Spoke to the machine shop that did the work and ensured me that the cam bearings were installed correctly.
So, my question(s) is - could I have spun a cam bearing - or other bearing? Oil pressure is approx 45 psi. Could there be a blockage to the other passages or does the oil only pass through two of them? Could this cause the belt like squealing that I hear? Don't think the head gasket could be installed incorrectly but possible - blocking a passage?
Any help with this is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Only one passage sends oil to the rocker shaft thru the head. The number 4 cam bearing sends oil to the rockers, and both passages are towards the rear. If oil comes out, the cam bearing should be okay. I can tell you that sometimes the holes don't align completely, so I usually end up drilling them to fix.

Thanks - I removed them and only getting oil from two passages closest to the firewall. Not sure if that is how it is supposed to be.

Only one passage sends oil to the rocker shaft thru the head. The number 4 cam bearing sends oil to the rockers, and both passages are towards the rear. If oil comes out, the cam bearing should be okay. I can tell you that sometimes the holes don't align completely, so I usually end up drilling them to fix.
OK great news about the one passage. When you say the holes don't align, are you talking about the holes on the rockers?

Thanks - I removed them and only getting oil from two passages closest to the firewall. Not sure if that is how it is supposed to be.
Thats correct. Here's an illustration.

20170801_231039.jpg

Make sure that the rocker arms are install correctly. The small 3/16" holes point down and toward the valve side of the head. They are drilled at 15* off center.

Thats correct. Here's an illustration.

View attachment 496291

Make sure that the rocker arms are install correctly. The small 3/16" holes point down and toward the valve side of the head. They are drilled at 15* off center.
Perfect - thanks - this explains so much. That part of my mystery is solved. i just need to figure out why no oil is getting to the forward part of the rockers and that squealing noise. It looks like if it was installed incorrectly, it would be pretty obvious.

FCDK9196.JPG

Perfect - thanks - this explains so much. That part of my mystery is solved. i just need to figure out why no oil is getting to the forward part of the rockers and that squealing noise. It looks like if it was installed incorrectly, it would be pretty obvious.

View attachment 496293
What's obvious is I see the holes in your rocker shafts that suppose to be pointed down and toward the valve side of the head...

What's obvious is I see the holes in your rocker shafts that suppose to be pointed down and toward the valve side of the head...
So they're 180 out? That's what I meant by obvious! I'm spent. This has been driving me nuts all day - brain is fried. Thanks tho. Wondering if this is the cause of my sqealing noise as well.

Last edited:
KK is right but I'm wondering what else is wrong if your rebuilder couldn't do those right.

So they're 180 out? That's what I meant by obvious! I'm pent. This has been driving me nuts all day - brain is fried. Thanks tho. Wondering if this is the cause of my sqealing noise as well.
It's definitely causing your noise. They're not designed to run that way. The rocker isn't getting proper oiling all the way around the shaft.

Remove all the bolts, turn the shaft over so the holes are pointing down. Very important to make sure they point toward the valve side of the head. If they don't make sure they do.

Inspect the pushrod ends and the cup in the rocker where they sit for wear also. The squeaking could be from a pushrod end too.

Inspect the shaft and rockers for any damage.

It's definitely causing your noise. They're not designed to run that way. The rocker isn't getting proper oiling all the way around the shaft.

Remove all the bolts, turn the shaft over so the holes are pointing down. Very important to make sure they point toward the valve side of the head. If they don't make sure they do.

Inspect the pushrod ends and the cup in the rocker where they sit for wear also. The squeaking could be from a pushrod end too.

Thanks - this is a big load off my mind. It's been a real long day. I will do ^ tomorrow and post and let you know how it tuns out. Thanks again!!

Thanks - this is a big load off my mind. It's been a real long day. I will do ^ tomorrow and post and let you know how it tuns out. Thanks again!!
-----Better look at things closely, if it was squeeling, something is messed up-worn-or gaulding. screetching metal is bad! If u need or want more oil to the rockers, have # 4 cam journal grooved about .020-.025 , by a machinist. will give full time oiling to the top end. Don't over do it tho.

-----Better look at things closely, if it was squeeling, something is messed up-worn-or gaulding. screetching metal is bad! If u need or want more oil to the rockers, have # 4 cam journal grooved about .020-.025 , by a machinist. will give full time oiling to the top end. Don't over do it tho.
Hoping and even praying this will fix the squeal - will find out later on today/tomorrow for sure.

The holes in the shaft point "Down and out". Easy way to remember. Out being towards the header or valves.

Can I agree twice on this one? Yes, take a look at the ends of pushrods + the bottom "cups" of the rockers where the pushrods touch....just to be sure they're OK... and don't be afraid to swap out a couple pushrods or rockers if they look "chewed up". You can do all of this while you're flipping over the rocker arm bars. Maybe take a look at the "bar holes" in the rockers also to see if any of their surfaces are worn away. Just swap out anything that looks chewed on & you should be fine (+ turn the rocker bars over the right way)

Update - Rockers and rods look good - I flipped over the arm to get the holes facing the correct way - however, when I looked at them, they are not facing the valve side as khryslerkid stated above. I'll take responsibility for having the holes face up - but did not remove the rockers from the arm. Slid the rockers off - tried keeping everything in order. Now - holes face the valves - but still no oil splash when I crank the engine. One other think I noticed is on the passenger's bank, not all the rockers are aligned with the springs. Some are somewhat off center. Rods are straight and centered on the lifters.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back