• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Squish-Quench....How much power does it add ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
Let's assume an engine runs fine and does not detonate. It has closed chamber heads but the head gaskets are thick so it has no realistic quench.
Then a piston swap is done where the new slugs are dished on one side and at zero deck on the other. Now it has quench yet the compression ratio is similar.
The heads are the same, the cam is the same but now there is Squish-Quench.
Aside from additional detonation resistance, is there a power increase? Is quench more for reduced emissions and mileage?

This isn't hypothetical. I'm doing something similar to my 440-495 though I am using a bigger cam than before.

If the quench was way off before then I will say there has to be an increase.

This isn't hypothetical
This is a hobbyist nightmare. It should be as simple as saying "show us your before and after time slips", or whatever benchmark of performance you've used in the past....
But I'm sure you`ll think or 47 other little improvements or changes you`ll make on the car before it gets back together, all of which will muddy the waters. I' m gonna grab my tub of popcorn anyway tho.

I put my engine together with quality parts so it stays together AND makes some power for me.
I have a set of TRW pop-ups in it that originally had a 0.140 dome. They were almost new so I
chucked them up and cut the dome down to 0.060 to get the compression ratio down to 10.3.
I don't care about Squish, just Detonation. We'll see!!! Good luck on yours!

After reading the thread IQ52 posted awhile back about making power with 440 motor home engines I held off buying pistons.
I think there are some hard running big blocks out there with not much thought when built about how much quench the motor has.

I think that Jim's efforts were much like the F.A.S.T. racer guys....They all tried to make power by working around obstacles.
I'm just curious if low speed torque is improved. I suspect that it induces turbulence, keeping the fuel in suspension and the air cooler. This is a proven power maker.

Let's assume an engine runs fine and does not detonate. It has closed chamber heads but the head gaskets are thick so it has no realistic quench.
Then a piston swap is done where the new slugs are dished on one side and at zero deck on the other. Now it has quench yet the compression ratio is similar.
The heads are the same, the cam is the same but now there is Squish-Quench.
Aside from additional detonation resistance, is there a power increase? Is quench more for reduced emissions and mileage?

This isn't hypothetical. I'm doing something similar to my 440-495 though I am using a bigger cam than before.
These guys have a good explanation of the quench/squish theory of operations inside an engine. Quench: Unlocking Performance Squished Between the Piston and Head

I am going to say that it is going to increase power and efficiency.

Quench allows for a higher CR to be used, all else being equal. Amount of ign advance is reduced. Both of these parameters had HP. Downside to quench is left over, unburned fuel in the quench area.

Auto Transport Service
Back