• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS springs too short.

67charger383

Local time
5:09 PM
Reaction score
My 3800lb super stock springs (old direct connection set) look like they are just too short. I have the correct front hangers from Mancini. Haven't installed my shackles yet (really long ones from the 70s that were on my charger when I got it) but I am at a loss.
Help? Do I need to compress them somehow?
KIMG0738.JPG
KIMG0737.JPG

:screwy:

The stock Charger springs have a rear section 1 inch longer. I figured it out when I was going to try and use some A body springs I already had with SS front hangers

Are your front hangers bolt holes 1" or 2" longer than your stock ones?

My 3800lb super stock springs (old direct connection set) look like they are just too short. I have the correct front hangers from Mancini. Haven't installed my shackles yet (really long ones from the 70s that were on my charger when I got it) but I am at a loss.
Help? Do I need to compress them somehow?
View attachment 1007957 View attachment 1007958
:screwy:

Those long shackles were normally used because of sagging rear springs, do yourself and your car a favor and get a stock set of rear shackels.

Those long shackles were normally used because of sagging rear springs, do yourself and your car a favor and get a stock set of rear shackels.
agree..through those long shackles out get the right ones (stock)

Measure your old front springs from front spring eye, to the reared center pin. Then do the same to your super stock springs (they will be 20"). The difference will be how much farther back your front hangers have to be than your originals. If they are, you should be okay.
In my humble opinion, nothing wrong with aftermarket shackles, just don't use em to Jack up the rearend. Use the shortest hole, and chop off the excess material.

33 IMP pointed out the 20"SS front segment. Stock Dodge front spring hangers are 1" longer than Plymouth spring hangers. The SS front hanger hole should be 2" longer than your stock hangers. Not sure I'm right but check it out.

To answer everyone's questions,
Yes they are the 2 inch extended Dodge hangers from Mancini: https://www.manciniracing.com/marasphaset7.html
I am NOT using the bottom hole on the shackles
I threw away my stock springs and hangers because they were really rusty and flattened (probably from those shackles)
Ill play with it some more this week and see if I can work it out.

:lowdown::moparsmiley:

The stock Charger springs have a rear section 1 inch longer. I figured it out when I was going to try and use some A body springs I already had with SS front hangers

It depends on which SS spring you use. There are 2 rear segment lengths. The 3800# should be the 36" rear.

The stock shackle length will work. I have also made my own with stock length and two more holes 1" longer & 2" longer. Stock or 1" long worked just great.

Update: I installed them. They were the right length, It had just been so long since I had removed the old ones that I thought the tow hitch mounts were shackle mounts :screwy:

I'm going to put it together on the bottom hole of the lift shackles and see how ridiculously high it sits and post a pic. (don't worry Ill change the shackles before it goes on the road) :D

^^^ So wrong, yet so right.lol.
Around here, back in the days (1978), the cops would pull you over and measure how high your rear bumper was from the road. To high and you got a ticket. I'm not sure anymore what the too high measurement was to be. My yard stick still lays on the rear package tray. They were looking at the air shocks and long shackles group.
Edit: I'm not even sure the ''Traffic Stop'' was legitimate, but the cops got to harass you. Then they could look for those other things that some got high on.

Last edited:
Update: I installed them. They were the right length, It had just been so long since I had removed the old ones that I thought the tow hitch mounts were shackle mounts :screwy:

I'm going to put it together on the bottom hole of the lift shackles and see how ridiculously high it sits and post a pic. (don't worry Ill change the shackles before it goes on the road) :D
There are better ways to get high............:poke::poke::drinks::fool::popcorn2:

Around here, back in the days (1978), the cops would pull you over and measure how high your rear bumper was from the road. To high and you got a ticket. I'm not sure anymore what the too high measurement was to be. My yard stick still lays on the rear package tray. They were looking at the air shocks and long shackles group.
N50 rear tires hanging 3" past the quarter, a front end that would flop over when you turned left or right, Gabriel air shocks to the moon ,lol. Don't forget the Hi-Jacker rabbit sticker in the back window( I would love to find one of those stickers again). Damn, we were cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back