• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SST Magnum kit install

Dave532

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the Magnum 6 speed kit from Silver Sport Transmissions?

I just started (69 Charger) and I found the SST trans crossmember holes don't
line up with the factory torsion bar crossmember...they are about 1/4" off (too short).

I attempted to 'squeeze' the factory crossmember together and bring the
holes closer together but that was no use.

I talked to SST and we verified the measurements. My car did get a new floor but
the factory crossmember is original. I did add USCartools subframe stiffeners.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this?

If I remember the bolts are 1/2" instead of the 3/8" factory, you just have to open them up to fit in the correct location. I wasn't real impressed with the trans mount bolting on the back of the crossmember but I think it will be fine. The templates are about useless. Not sure how you could 'squeeze' the factory crossmember together? I'm wondering how much of the cost was templates and instructions, they could have been better. This is where mine is at.

FullSize-R_2.jpg

The bolts go through the factory holes fine but the SST crossmember is 1/4" too narrow or the factory outside crossmember holes are too wide depending on your perspective.
Even though I'm going with a GTS front end I retained my factory torsion bar perches. I wrapped a chain and come-along through the perches and 'pulled'
both ends of the factory crossmember together about a 1/16". However, the factory bushings inside the holes did not move so even if the holes move where
I want, the bushings would have to be reamed out.

I will probably end up modifying the SST crossmember and bring the holes out a bit. (or fab a completely new piece like I know some guys on the board have done)

I haven't used the templates yet.

Your picture looks like what I want mine to look like in the future...only difference being I added front 'torque boxes' as well.

Last edited:
We put the inner holes in where they go bolted everything in place and opened up the outer ones, the trans mount has bushings in it harder to adjust it. If I was going to remake the trans mount as you suggested I would make it like the factory one and go on both sides of the original crossmember, just my opinion. Front torque boxes are there as well as the rear. I too am using a Gerst front end.

Auto Transport Service
Back