• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stainless Fuel Tank?

Road Grabber

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
I know vendors have offered stainless tanks now and I am currently putting together parts needed for a 70 Dart.

Are these stainless tanks worth it? Overkill?

If you bought one and are happy with it I’d like to hear from you.

I’ve also heard some issues with repro gas senders leaking. Bad lock down collars?

If someone has a suggestion for a tank and sender from a vendor that worked well I would appreciate some intel.

Thank you in advance.

Stainless will be impervious to whatever you fill it with on fuel. Regular zinc/nitrile steel replacement units can rust, if the junky pump fuel sits causing it to separate and attract moisture, but there are additives to combat the "phase separation". Aluminum is a no go since it and alcohol don't get along. Alcohol eats aluminum.

I put a stainless tank in my 64 Fury. I had issues with rust in the original tank due to darn ethanol gas. Hope the stainless never rusts, and I hope I can continue to find, and afford, non-eth for it..
In addition, I am planning to put a stainless tank in my 67 Coronet in the near future for the same reason.

DSC01290.JPG

Thank you for the replies.

Can you tell me the vendor? I saw the tanks at the Syracuse Nationals couple years back which is coming up. I would make the trip this year if I knew they were there.

Did you use their sending unit? I heard that the locking collar on the repros don’t seal well.

My tank came from "Tom's Classics", an ebay seller. No complaint with it. The filler tube seal came from Inline Tubes Co. as the original no name seal from ebay didn't fit properly. And I did reuse the sender lock ring instead of the new one, because I had trouble with a different one on another car in the past. The metal was a bit thinner than the original, and it allowed the fuel to leak.

My tank came from "Tom's Classics", an ebay seller. No complaint with it. The filler tube seal came from Inline Tubes Co. as the original no name seal from ebay didn't fit properly. And I did reuse the sender lock ring instead of the new one, because I had trouble with a different one on another car in the past. The metal was a bit thinner than the original, and it allowed the fuel to leak.

Thank you. That confirms the ring problem. Can’t be too many selling stainless so I’ll check it it’s the same vendor.

I’m originally a b body guy but the tank is for a 70 dart. Would you know if the date tank has a mat between the tank when mounting it? I used one for the charger but I don’t know if a body used them. It had a 340 so I have to find out if it uses 3/8 fuel line too when I get a sender.

Auto Transport Service
Back