• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stamped metal axle seal

Red63440

Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
I’m replacing the seals on an 8 3/4” rear end I bought and I received two foam seals, 2 axle seals and 2 stamped metal seals that go between the flange and backing plates. The metal seals were not on the housing or backing plates when I brought it home.
My question is, the metal seal has a raised rib like a shim head gasket, does the raised rib go towards the backing plate or towards the flange?

Looked in SM doesn't say, why have rib facing in? I say rib facing out.

I believe metal goes against housing rib out then backing plate then foam gasket. Maybe wait for another comment.

Maybe take a photo? There are standards for seals but I’m not picturing it from the description.

The metal gasket belongs between the housing and the backing plate and the foam between the backing plate and the retaining flange (fixed and adjustable). Adjuster should be on right side.
Mike

Maybe take a photo? There are standards for seals but I’m not picturing it from the description.
5FAD5AB4-8825-48E8-AD7F-2830E5F566FA.jpeg
7DC1B786-BF53-4001-9F5A-B93C4A21A110.jpeg

The original question was if the raised lip of the metal seal faces the flange or the backing plate.

Looks like rib is towards axle housing. Which is a machined flat surface.

We are lucky to have Cass in our hobby, great guy.

Last edited:
I went to Harbor Freight today to get a seal driver and they didn’t have what I needed so I came home and turned one on my wood lathe.
9AB4473E-BA68-484C-ABFD-18840A7171CC.jpeg

Hey it worked fine, and it was free!

On any type of seal ,metal rib or rubber the lip faces the oil/grease source.

Last edited:
The metal rib goes towards the housing.The thought was that when you bolt it all up the rib acts like a seal, it crushes down helping to seal against gear oil leaks onto your brakes. That’s what I was told anyway…

Looks like rib is towards axle housing. Which is a machined flat surface.

We are lucky to have Cass in our hobby, great guy.
I may wrong but why put the ribbed side to machined surface. If backing is an uneven stamped surface the rib would conform to it better. jmo

Any rib like this will comply with mating surfaces on both the rib side and the base of the ribs on the other side. I’d put the rib toward the rougher surface.

Auto Transport Service
Back