• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

started the restoration '70 roadrunner

maxb

Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
My car was finally brought out of storage and into the garage to start the restoration last week. We've been taking everything off and were excited to see the trunk vin number, rad support vin number and door jam all matched up to the cars vin. I posted last fall about my car-possibly the first roadrunner off the St.louis line for 1970. We're lucky the car is original with the original seats, radio, trim, windows, body panels etc. not original engine though.
The paint job is from 1979.
IMG_5140.JPEG
IMG_4442.JPG
IMG_4443.JPG

The car has been sitting for 16 years. I just ordered the new interior: door panels,carpet,seat covers and got a quick taste of how much this will all cost. Hoping it will be on the road by August or Sept.

Nice roadrunner post pics of the progress as you go.

we pulled out the old 383 and have the new one -below- built and ready.

IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4389.JPG
IMG_4431.JPG

the vin number on the rad support-upside down-100023
IMG_4508.JPG

and on the trunk
IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG IMG_4508.JPG IMG_4389.JPG IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG
IMG_4509.JPG
IMG_4510.JPG

going to take it right back to the way it was new;
FK5 paint -white roof
IMG_0759.JPG

this picture taken of the car around 1977 I think

If it's not the first RR in 70 surely it's the first RR rag top.

My car was finally brought out of storage and into the garage to start the restoration last week. We've been taking everything off and were excited to see the trunk vin number, rad support vin number and door jam all matched up to the cars vin. I posted last fall about my car-possibly the first roadrunner off the St.louis line for 1970. We're lucky the car is original with the original seats, radio, trim, windows, body panels etc. not original engine though.
The paint job is from 1979.View attachment 904301 View attachment 904302 View attachment 904304

The car has been sitting for 16 years. I just ordered the new interior: door panels,carpet,seat covers and got a quick taste of how much this will all cost. Hoping it will be on the road by August or Sept.

Don't peel this label off. Clean up the edges with acetone, and tape it off when repainting.

img_4443-jpg.jpg

Nice ride, right there. Love to see the pics as you go.

If you peel it.. it says VOID underneath! As Jerry points out.. check with Tom at ECS first, not sure on availability with David gone now.

Thanks guys, I'll be careful with the door jam sticker. I've budgeted around 40k U.S. for the restore. -on top of the new engine that's
IMG_4512.JPG
already done. The paint and bodywork price quotes are killin' my budget but I promised myself no shortcuts. It's the unforeseen things like rebuilding the steering box, replacing the little plastic broken Air Grabber switch ($100) and changing the 4:10 posi rear end to 323 that I didn't count on.
the K member is being totally rebuilt this week and the windshield and dash are coming out next.

work has continued and we have the dash and windshield out. I bought a re-furbished and powder-coated K member. new parts are piling up as they arrive; new gas tank, rear trunk cross member, rr quarter panel, trunk floor pan, main floor pan,
IMG_4560.JPG
IMG_4554.JPG

I've got a decision to make about a rear trim piece on my car. My cousin bought this car in 1972 and it had this rear trim piece around the taillights like a GTX when he bought it. Some people say it's impossible because no roadrunners came with this trim. This car was built on the first day of production 1969 and was apparently shipped to Canada as a show car for Chrysler Canada. I tracked down the original owner of the car (he's 82) and he says he never added it. I have to decide if I should take off the clips and go without the trim piece or put it back on after paint.
IMG_2736.JPG

A guy helping with the restoration has done almost a hundred mopars and says he believes these clips are factory installed. I'm leaning towards leaving the clips and putting the trim pieces back on after paint and just put up with mopar experts saying the trim is not original. Has anyone seen these on a Road runner before? It's not a huge deal, but I don't know if I should add it back on or not.
IMG_4557.JPG
IMG_4558.JPG

If you like the trim leave it especially since you talked to original owner ,might ask if he has any pictures.

Auto Transport Service
Back