• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter and headers conflict. Any suggestions????

dodge68charger

Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
I ordered shorty headers for my 440 and the starters hitting the damn headers. Its a mini starter from a 95 ram. I bought a powermaster before the engine was finished a years ago and tried it, its even worse!! Any suggestions. I spent an arm and leg on the headers. Thanks you

I reclicked the powermaster starter and it will clear the headers but the bottom hole is 1/8 inch from lining up because the starters hitting the block.

Should i elingate the lower hole or grind the block. Just worried if i elongate it it will push the starter away from the flywheel that 1/8th inch. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

That was probably your only solution. Glad you got it down to fitting.

I would have returned them, nothing pisses me off more than parts that don't fix and you have a mini starter too!!! Now you get to worry about heat soak with it so close..... I hope it works out for you.

I would have returned them, nothing pisses me off more than parts that don't fix and you have a mini starter too!!! Now you get to worry about heat soak with it so close..... I hope it works out for you.

I agree. The only way that companies will learn is when their products are returned for refunds. If they refuse to make quality products, they will fail and go bankrupt. (As they should)

Thanks for the replys. I would have returned them but the cars goin to sit pretty low so i need the ground clearance. I rotated the starter to where it would work. Its a powermaster with 3 clockable positions.. Grinded the block. Installed a stud on the top for the starter bolt and on the bottom screwed a 7/16 allen head bolt in from theback of the bellhousing and used a jam nut and barley had enough room to tighten it. Had to grind a wrench down. The tti's are nice headers, just wish there was a bit more room.. Bought a starter heat wrap too

Last edited:
Glad that you worked that out. I bought a mini starter a year ago on the recommendation of a Mopar big block A-body racer a year ago...finally came time to install it with my TTI headers...wouldn't fit, but-get this-the behemoth stock starter fit! Very happy with the TTI headers! They hug up tight to the body too!20150928_102709.jpg

I've got ground clearance issues to and might go to something a bit shorter as well. I'm running Hooker Super Comps right now and drag them on crowned driveways errrrh! Those TTIs pictured don't look any better to be honest, I don't call that hugging the body and would drag them as well. Right now seeing how most hang low I'm thinking about just getting another set of Hookers and moving the tubes up before getting them coated?

As far as hugging the body, I guess I am comparing them to 25 years ago when headers all seemed to be designed to catch plastic bags and lines painted on crosswalks, lol. I saw so many headers back then bashed up and the bottoms ground down...

Auto Transport Service
Back