• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter for '71 440

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:49 PM
Reaction score
Mine just doesn't seem to have enough pep to do the job anymore. I am trying to decide between original type or the mini torque type.

Recommendations or observations either way ?

I like and have a mini starter. Bought mine from O'reillys, can't remember the manufacturer

Many people put in a starter from a Dakota, they are smaller and have the permanent magnet.
Pretty much a direct replacement and it will turn over quicker.

Yeah, I have come to the conclusion that mine is shot from sitting in the desert heat and sand. It tries but just cannot do what is needed anymore. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am rebuilding my carb. I am doing the 600cfm first since it was the last working carb on this engine, then I will do the 750cfm and install the dual fuel feeds after motor is up and running.

Under your main power stud on inside of starter there's copper disc could burned and or stud could be burned. The copper disc you can flip over, the stud replace. That's assuming all other connections are good.

I went through all the cables and grounds this past Saturday. I replaced a couple terminal ends, cut out any corrosion in the cables. Battery is fully charged.
I do have headers so a smaller starter would be a lot easier to work with !

In the past I have used the RobMC starters with good results.

I was just about to post a starter question when i saw this thread. I'm installing shumacher tri y headers. They recomend using a mini starter. I've looked at a bunch of starter ads. Most show the same generic stock pic, of the same starter. And their ads usually don't tell much about the features or specifics. The only thing different in the ads is the price. I've seen prices for a mini, for a 383 , from $60 to over $800 !So whats a guy to go by?

Yup, get the cheaper one!

They are all basiclally the same.Do you have a local parts store?? Dakota,Diplimat,5th ave,Durango,,,,,all the same.

they fit ALL small blocks including LA/magnums, big blocks , slant sixes and even hemis
Thank you. I was aware of that for the full size, but didn't know if the same held true for the mini's or not. Odd though, that they don't list it, when they do so many others.

Auto Transport Service
Back