• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter options.

BAFRAID

She’s looking like a Super Bee again!!
Local time
2:04 AM
Reaction score
I’m realizing that I’m kind of over trying to go all original. What’s everyone using for starters? I’ve seen a lot of stuff about these high torque mini starters. Are they any good? It’s a 383/727 in a 1969 Super Bee.

What was the reason you don't want a stock one?

I am using a 1994 Dodge Dakota starter on a 512 stroker. Bought a adapter off a member that moves the cable studs away from the block.

What was the reason you don't want a stock one?
It’s not really that I don’t want the stock one. I have my stock starter and I cleaned it up but it’s not restored. Nothing was replaced in it. I just don’t want to get my car together and have problems.

The mini starter is the way to go. There are some different ones but in my experience its usually the connections, some of them have a different connecting method but generally that is bolted to the "normal" one and can be removed.

LOL theres always someone who loves those boat anchor parts and argues why they should be used. Completely too big, too heavy and too ineffective but hey use whatever you like

:rofl:

LOL theres always someone who loves those boat anchor parts and argues why they should be used. Completely too big, too heavy and too ineffective but hey use whatever you like
I’d go with a mini. Any specific one?
:rofl:

I've had one of the Dakota starters on Fred for over a decade now - a friggin junkyard one the PO
had on the car when I bought it over a decade ago.
The starter has been so tough and durable AND easily whips the 440 over, I've just never seen the
need to swap it out for anything else.
If I were you, I'd fetch one of these critters from a local parts store that offers a lifetime warranty
on them (they're very reasonably priced rebuilt). Best bargain in town, no need for fancy aftermarket
mini-whatevers....

The mini starter is the way to go. There are some different ones but in my experience its usually the connections, some of them have a different connecting method but generally that is bolted to the "normal" one and can be removed.
IMO...
There is nothing wrong with the origional starter.....except its a HEAVYWEIGHT. If you want to rebuild it, there are NOS as well as reproduction parts available. The most often needed parts are: the brushes, starter drive (aka "bendix"), solenoid coil (engages starter pinion), contact disc and contacts that are part of tthe solenoid assembly, armature assembly, reduction gears and field coils (which almost NEVER go bad).
A mini starter is so much more efficient as it uses permanent magnets in lieu of the field coils. This reduces the voltage and current the starter consumes while cranking. This results in more torque the starter produces while reducing battery power needed. The mini starter is also significantly lighter in weight making installation easier. For my almost numbers matching GTX, I use the mini starter....it fits perfectly.....and when installed in the car, you cannot see it.....and most observers would not know the difference anyway. I vote for the mini starter.
BOB RENTON

EADA965C-0281-4C00-A151-DF3F2356B6B8.png
Looking at this one. About $80

I started using the mini's 25 years ago and never looked back. No comparison to the old mopar starter. No more hot soaks or drag. You will think you have a new fuel injected car.

Does it matter if you have an automatic or a manual transmission?

IMO...
and most observers would not know the difference anyway.
BOB RENTON
Until you hit the key and don't hear that classic old Mopar starter whine, lol.

Does it matter if you have an automatic or a manual transmission?
Only thing mini starters don't work on are 66 to 69 Hemi's 4 speeds with direct drive starters. To the best of my knowledge.

Auto Transport Service
Back