• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter problems

joseph p.

Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
hello to all my fellow b bodie members,,well knowing i was buying an older car,its a 1969 plymouth satelitte with a 383 ,727 ,that was installed . i knew i would run into issues in the future,,well i think i burnt out the starter ,because after cranking it for about 10 seconds, i stopped cranking her , and thought the fuel hadnt gone thru the carb to fire,i started cranking her again then about after 5 seconds of trying to start her again i smelled some burning electrical aroma,,i stopped went under the hood and seen some smoke from the starter,,so i guess its a no brainer , its the starter right?oh before this all happened i would sometimes have to jump her from the relay screwdriver method,,i appreciate all the feedback,thanks guys,oh and gals lol.

A low battery and or bad connections will make the starter pull more amps which in turn will create more heat. Check those first before giving up on the starter.
A weak or tight, worn out starter builds heat too.

Make sure you have a good spark, and fuel at the carb. A little shot of gas in the carb will help it to fire quicker without being so hard on the starter.

If the solenoid has been sticking in the past then the round contact inside the starter could be burnt. That creates a bad contact and causes more draw on the starter windings. This can be cleaned or replaced if you want.

Auto Transport Service
Back