• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter relay - 727 to tko500 - rewire question

watermelon

Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
hello all,

does anyone know if i need to change the starter relay when going from auto to manual?

my thought is that i can ground the connection that used to go between the relay and the neutral safety switch on the 727. would that work?

any feedback is appreciated.

thanks,

watermelon

07C32195-A234-43A3-897F-7F489FF919A2.jpeg

Grounding the terminal will allow the starter relay to work. This, however, takes the safety out of the equation. The starter relay will engage when the car is in gear and the clutch is not depressed. A definite tech problem at the strip (if you are so inclined).
Research the 70 up starter circuit for manual cars.
Ref: in the forums
1969 Charger clutch safety switch recommendation

is just about install a pressing switch ( like door jams ) on clutch pedal bracket, and wire it to the G on Starter relay.

4_How_to_Replace_a_Clutch_Switch_graphic_showing_appropriate_placing_of_clutch_pedal_and_switch.jpg
Door-Jamb-Switch-Standard-DS173.jpg

exactly to the emergency pedal switch in fact, on same position.

Check the TKO-500 for a neutral safety switch pre-installed, my TKO-600 came with one. Closed in neutral only, connect it to the existing NSS switch wiring. The original factory style clutch pedal safety switches don’t last and are scarce today.

thanks for pointing that out 72.

also, thanks for the replies all. i learned a lot thanks to you all

looks like mine was plugged. im just gonna run without the NSS.

watermelon

5B96EAB3-6A3E-4D3D-AA6D-0AE87231E4E8.jpeg 33DF87DF-4234-4A23-B59A-324C680A7B39.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back