• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter relay bad

65satellite383

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
732E16F5-3597-4DC6-8C65-494029A544DF.jpeg
Can I bypass the starter relay by shorting the two terminals to prove the relay is bad? It’s a1965 with a 4 speed.

Should be 12 volts to top terminal at all times. ( red wire)
Should be 12 volts at yellow wire when key is in start position .
When that happens there should be 12 volts at smaller brown / black wire.

If not, then yes you have a bad relay or no ground on the lower right corner connection.

Short red wire to brown / black wire externally bypasses relay

Edited

Last edited:
1st check yellow for 12v when turning key.
Then check the solder point to confirm ground connection.

Thanks for the info. I knew there was a way to do it, but I was reluctant to just start shorting stuff. And I will make sure it’s not in gear when I do it.

The relay has to be grounded as well. The soldered corner grounds the primary winding of the relay that is powered up by the yellow wire. This is in manual trans set-up only. For an automatic that section of the relay would have a insulated tab. The tab would connect to the neutral safety switch. This switch grounds in N and P only, thus grounding the relay.
Doug

Did the relay firewall bolts cut through the paint to make a ground. Doubt it's a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back