• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter Replacement 72 SSP

Robert Schaad

Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
My starter is starting to go out. Not bad for what 48 years. I got a rebuild one from Amazon, WLS 3250 BBB industries. It sure is smaller and lighter then my original one. Put everything together and tried starting car. Starter does work but does not engage my motor. Took it back out and tested on floor. Does work, but the teeth do not come out very far and does not engage my torque converter. Upset since Amazon site said it would work. I then got one from NAPA. Look like the one I got from Amazon. But the teeth in the NAPA starter stick out more and when engaged, they push out farther then the Amazon starter. Both starters look so much alike, but the teeth are much different. NAPA starter worked great. Just for information.

Have your orig rebuilt! I believe in rebuilding versus tossing it ... still some rebuilders around and it will beat a China made one time and time again as long as it is rebuilt with quality parts

Auto Transport Service
Back